Ice Tube Clock Q3 Assembly

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chrisjpf33

Ice Tube Clock Q3 Assembly

Post by chrisjpf33 »

I am assembling the Ice Tube Clock and following the instructions on the Adafruit Learning System: http://learn.adafruit.com/ice-tube-cloc ... d-assembly. The picture of Q3 doesn't match the part that came with my kit. I guess it was changed recently. The old device was a very familiar TO-92 package which has a curved side, and a flat side where the part number is printed. The new device seems to have two flat sides, one which has curved edges, and on this side also has the part number (what is this package called?). When I was trying to decide the correct orientation, I wasn’t sure if the side with the curved edges coincides with the rounded side on the TO-92, or if the side with the printing coincides with the printed face on the TO-92. Which of these is correct? I figured that I would check before I installed it so I didn't have to unsolder it or risk powering it up and causing damage. Can someone please clarify the correct insertion orientation of this part? Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Tube Clock Q3 Assembly

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I wasn’t sure if the side with the curved edges coincides with the rounded side on the TO-92
Yes. The 'flatter' side should align with the flat side of the TO-92 outline on the silkscreen.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”