Ice Tube Clock: Digits start to fade until none are lit

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
francisco300

Ice Tube Clock: Digits start to fade until none are lit

Post by francisco300 »

After finishing the kit with all of the tests resulting in how they were supposed to go i plugged in my clock. Everything seemed fine. I set the clock the date and messed with the brightness. At first the leftmost digit was blinking in and out while in settings. After finishing setting it up the leftmost digit kept flickering. Then it completely turned off, then proceeded with parts of the next digit until after about a minute the whole tube no longer displayed any digits. I unplugged the clock and plugged it back in with nothing lighting up. The beep does happen though. I unplugged it and waited about a minute to plug it back in. All of the digits lit up with the leftmost digit flashing and eventually the same thing happened.
Here is a link of one of the digit problem occurring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib3y9ydb ... e=youtu.be

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Tube Clock: Digits start to fade until none are lit

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hi, we have seen a few reports of this problem recently and are investigating. Thanks for your patience.

francisco300

Post by francisco300 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Hi, we have seen a few reports of this problem recently and are investigating. Thanks for your patience.
I know it has been a year but I was wondering if you guys found a solution or identified the problem?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes. The problem appears to be due to a marginal Q3. These are static sensitive devices and easily damaged in handling. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can send you another Q3.

Some forum members have come up with alternatives to this sensitive part. If you are interested, Russell 27 has a nice write-up on the options here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=51283#p258920

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”