Ice Tube Clock: One Weak Digit

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
paulpenn

Ice Tube Clock: One Weak Digit

Post by paulpenn »

My Ice Tube Clock is working fine, except for the minutes digit, which is much dimmer than the others. It's not a subtle problem—it’s the first thing people notice and comment on when I show off my clock. The clock is set for low brightness now, but the same digit is always much dimmer, even at the brightest setting.

I have attached pictures of the display, tube socket, and header solder joints. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like me to check.

Otherwise, I'd like to request a new tube. I guess I'll need the small PC board and right angle header also. I'd be glad to send in the defective tube assembly.

--Paul
Attachments
Header Pins.JPG
Header Pins.JPG (99.74 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Small PCB.JPG
Small PCB.JPG (100.63 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Display.JPG
Display.JPG (95.16 KiB) Viewed 1025 times

wildtang3nt

Re: Ice Tube Clock: One Weak Digit

Post by wildtang3nt »

It looks like there are three pins on your VFD driver socket that aren't fully flowed with solder. Maybe try touching that up and see how it looks.

Otherwise there are a couple firmwares that allow you to change the brightness of each digit. This however requires a programmer, or an Arduino to flash the new firmware to the clock.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Interesting. Typically, the seconds digit is dimmer than the rest. This is a function of how the tube is driven and is mentioned in the FAQ: http://learn.adafruit.com/ice-tube-clock-kit/faq

The solder looks mostly very good. But as mentioned above, there are a few pins that could use a bit more solder. Touch them up and see if anything improves.

paulpenn

Post by paulpenn »

OK -- touched up the solder on the three pins on the MAX6921 socket. No change at all in the brightness of the unit minutes digit.

I looked in the FAQ as suggested but did not find anything about this problem. There seems to be some confusion about which digit is dim: I am not having any problem with the seconds digits, only the units, not tens, of minutes. Please refer to the picture.

What now?

--Paul

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement tube & side board.

paulpenn

Post by paulpenn »

Bill;

Will do -- thanks.

--Paul

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”