questions before buying solder:time Desk Clock

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
berko

questions before buying solder:time Desk Clock

Post by berko »

Hi,
I am thinking about buying a Solder:time Desk Clock and have a few questions about it if anyone has answers.

1) are the LEDs matrix just white LEDs. i know they appear red in the photos but it seems there is a red piece of plastic over the font of the clock.

2) is there a LED matrix that anyone knows about, either here at adafruit or elsewhere that is not just a single color and will fit as replacements for the LED matrix that comes with the clock.
similar to the Adafruit Bicolor LED Square Pixel Matrix with I2C Backpack but 5 X 7. if i can find one and replace the red plastic with white i can make a multi color version of the display.

3) can you access the proto area for anywhere outside of the clock. for example if i want to add a light sensor, button, switch, etc and be able to interact with it on the top or back of the clock. adding a snooze button on the inside of the clock is not ideal. i like to snooze without taking a clock apart. can i easily drill the back or top plastic without cracking it?

4) what is the space between the proto space and the back cover? if i want to add a Simple RF M4 Receiver - 315MHz Momentary Type to the inside (if i can't get to any buttons or switches as stated in question 3) i will use this as a solution.

thanks for any info,
best,
jon

adafruit

Re: questions before buying solder:time Desk Clock

Post by adafruit »

we're going to ask the maker and post back shortly!

berko

Post by berko »

Thanks!

berko

Post by berko »

just thought of another question...

It says i can reprogram it using the arduino IDE, however i don't see a USB port anywhere, so how would i do this?
do i need to remove the chip, place it in my arduino uno and then place it back in the clock?
how would i reprogram it once i build it, does the clock come apart easily (for bug fixes and you know, version 2.1, ideas i think of the day after i build it).

thanks again.
-jon

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Here is the reply from Mark at SpikenzieLabs: (Thanks Mark!)
Begin forwarded message:
It says i can reprogram it using the arduino IDE, however i don't see a USB port anywhere, so how would i do this?
do i need to remove the chip, place it in my arduino uno and then place it back in the clock?
how would i reprogram it once i build it, does the clock come apart easily (for bug fixes and you know, version 2.1, ideas i think of the day after i build it).

You don't have to take the clock apart to reprogram. Simply remove the back cover and connect an FTDI style cable (or Adafruit FTDI Friend) to the pins mark "FTDI". In the Arduino IDE choose "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (3.3v 8mhz ) w/ ATmega328" as the board type. Compile and upload your changes!

Please see answers in line:

1) are the LEDs matrix just white LEDs. i know they appear red in the photos but it seems there is a red piece of plastic over the font of the clock.
The LED matrix are diffused white epoxy with red color LEDs. In front of the matrices we added a transparent red acrylic filter to make the color really pop.

2) is there a LED matrix that anyone knows about, either here at adafruit or elsewhere that is not just a single color and will fit as replacements for the LED matrix that comes with the clock.
similar to the Adafruit Bicolor LED Square Pixel Matrix with I2C Backpack but 5 X 7. if i can find one and replace the red plastic with white i can make a multi color version of the display.
Sorry, I don't know of any. We have looked but have not found any that fit this pin-out.

3) can you access the proto area for anywhere outside of the clock. for example if i want to add a light sensor, button, switch, etc and be able to interact with it on the top or back of the clock. adding a snooze button on the inside of the clock is not ideal. i like to snooze without taking a clock apart. can i easily drill the back or top plastic without cracking it?
I've tested drilling with a hand drill and the top, bottom and sides can be drilled without cracking (watch out for the internal support parts). I drilled slowly without much pressure. The back 1/16" layer is harder to drill through without getting small cracks around the drill hole.

4) what is the space between the proto space and the back cover? if i want to add a Simple RF M4 Receiver - 315MHz Momentary Type to the inside (if i can't get to any buttons or switches as stated in question 3) i will use this as a solution.
Approx - 7/16" from PCB to inside of clear back cover

Cheers,
Mark

========

berko

Post by berko »

thanks Mark and bill!
adding to cart now and will be ordering soon!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”