Need help troubleshooting DS1307 Breakout kit

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Hexane22

Need help troubleshooting DS1307 Breakout kit

Post by Hexane22 »

Hi,
I can't get a DS1307 RTC purchased from Adafruit to work with my Arduino Uno. Have been trying for two days, have only succeeded in getting to work once. Thought I finally had it working, but then disconnected USB, later reconnected, back to no workee. Solder joints seem fine. Reheated them all anyway. Interestingly discovered the battery shipped with the product was deader than a doornail. Thought for sure that was problem, bought and installed new battery to no avail. Confirmed 3.1 v on appropriate IC pins using multimeter. Confirmed 5 v across the GND and 5V pins. See attached images.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Attachments
SerialMonitor.jpg
SerialMonitor.jpg (90.27 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Solder.jpg
Solder.jpg (73.63 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Breadboard.jpg
Breadboard.jpg (142.47 KiB) Viewed 410 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Need help troubleshooting DS1307 Breakout kit

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Whenever we see this 2165/165/165 problem, it's a bad ground connection. Try some different jumpers and/or breadboard sockets.
I can't really see your solders on the header pins in the picture, but they don't look so good to me. It looks as if the solder is balled up on the pins and hasn't flowed out across the pads. Solders should look like this:

Hexane22

Re: Need help troubleshooting DS1307 Breakout kit

Post by Hexane22 »

Thanks for the response. Solder joints were fine (altho not pretty). Turned out to be even more basic: breadboard jumper wire connected to scl was bad. Clock works now. Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”