Can't see ds1307 with i2cdetect

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
yauname

Can't see ds1307 with i2cdetect

Post by yauname »

Hi,

I just purchased a number of devices from Adafruit, including a BMP180 pressure transducer and a DS1307 RTC breakout board. I put the RTC together (I've been soldering for over 50 years & I've double checked the joints, used proper static protocol, omitted the two 2.2k pullups) and wired it and the BMP180 up to my Pi, using the I2C bus. I am using the most current distro of Rasperian and have followed the directions, confirmed that modules are loaded, appropriate files are updated (unblacklist i2c-bcm2708, add rtc-ds1307,i2c-dev and i2c-bcm2708 to /ect/modules, etc.), etc. An lsmod shows them there.

I can issue an "i2cdetect -y 1" command and readily see the BMP180 at address 77, but no sign of the DS1307. An Oscope between ground and either of the crystal's leads shows no waveform or oscillation. The battery shows 3.2 volts. I think I've got a bad RTC chip (the ds1307), but before I ask for a replacement (I can easily replace it on the breakout board), I thought I'd ask here for any other ideas to try first. Any thoughts?? Thanks, - Frank

yauname

Re: Can't see ds1307 with i2cdetect

Post by yauname »

Hi again,

Please forgive the waste of bandwidth. The unit wasn't getting power. That was one of the first things I checked when it didn't seem to be working. Then I moved it (and the i2c wiring) on my proto-board to get shorter lead lengths (i2c bus) thinking that may be the problem. Never checked power again - and apparently found a bad connection on my proto-board. Don't know why it wasn't working in the first location, but I see it with i2cdetect now - at address 68. This really is embarrassing! :oops: Sorry to waste everyone's time.
- Frank

Moderators, please feel free to delete this entire thread.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”