Help with a weird problem on Ice Tube Clock

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jarchie

Re: Help with a weird problem on Ice Tube Clock

Post by jarchie »

JaysonL wrote:I noticed that your profile info says you're from Santa Cruz... greetings from south San Jose! I feel like I owe you a beer for pointing me towards this mod... do let me know if you ever want to meet up at 99 Bottles for a pint!
That would be awesome. Unfortunately, I'm going to be swamped for the next week or so, but maybe sometime after that? If you shoot me an email (visit the address in my footer), we could exchange contact information and chat off-forum.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

I've personally tried replacing Q3 with a ZVP2110A and replacing Q3 with a PN2907A & resistor. Both substitutions eliminate the dim digit problem and reduce cathode poisoning. But it would be awesome for future clock builders if you guys could confirm that these substitutions also resolve the display problems described in this thread...
Frank_tt wrote:OK all, I replaced Q3 with ZVP2110A as recommended and it atleast fixed the fading segments. The clock stops when power is pulled but it could be that the battery has run down some. I will get a new one and see if that fixes that or do I have yet another problem?
Did you ever try a replacement battery? If not, I'd be willing to mail one if you give me a mailing address. (Check the footer for my email.)
JaysonL wrote:[After replacing Q3 with a PN2907A & resistor, t]he tube lights up evenly and without flicker, even at the lowest brightness setting. I can't say for sure whether the battery backup is functioning as intended, as I currently lack the desire to either run down the lithium coin cell prematurely (finding replacements can be irksome) or open the enclosure back up (since I went through the trouble of cleaning off the fingerprint smudges on the inner surface), but I presume it is.
I'd be happy to mail a replacement CR1220 battery if you give me a mailing address. It should be possible to remove an old battery without opening the case. Needle-nosed pliers or tweezers both work.

If you're concerned with battery life, you might check out my xmas firmware which increases battery life 4-fold. And with a small hardware modification (cutting a trace and soldering a jumper), battery life can be increased by 25-fold.

Frank_tt

Post by Frank_tt »

I did finally change the battery and it works fine. fixed.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”