Ice Clock - 1 segment across all digits not lighting

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JimBob

Ice Clock - 1 segment across all digits not lighting

Post by JimBob »

I finally have my Ice Clock "werking".

I had a few brain farts along the way and had to remove the VFD socket and replace with a new one. The problem I have is that the upper left vertical segment on all digits not lighting. I've gone over all the solder joints and am afraid I may have damaged the main board when I de-soldered the original VFD socket. Can you give me an idea as to what I should be looking for or which joints or circuits I should be giving a closer inspection?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Clock - 1 segment across all digits not lighting

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

One segment across all digits is usually due to a solder problem between the VFD and the tube. The upper left vertical segment is controlled by the VFD_1 signal as shown in the schematic diagrams below. (Warning, the pin numbering on the header flips between the main board and the tube board. Pins 1-19 on one are pins 2-20 on the other)

If you post some photos we'll take a look.

JimBob

Post by JimBob »

Hi Bill,

Thanks of responding. Unfortunately, I don't access to a camera capable of producing decent pictures at that level.

I did trace VFD_1 from the tube down through the side PCB down to the board and have connectivity, I reviewed the solder joints to the wires from the tube and the joints are good, solder flowed through the PCB to the wire on the tube side. I reviewed the solder joints and reflowed a few on the socket for the chip all to no avail.

Since I posted, I read through a few other posts with similar problems (http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=31208 and http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=26242) and noticed a suggestion to jumper the problem segment to another - so I chose to try a similar approach and put a jumper from VFD_1 to VFD_A. After applying the jumper I'm still not getting anything on that same segment.

Do you think that was a valid/acceptable approach?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Jumpering to another segment should cause both to light up at the same time. if jumpering to another segment does not cause the segment to light up, the problem is in the tube itself.

If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread, we can send you another tube and side-board.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”