Preprogrammed ATmega 168V for GPS Mod

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chuckvideo

Preprogrammed ATmega 168V for GPS Mod

Post by chuckvideo »

I just added the GPS mod to my Ice Cube Clock, but I'm having trouble getting my USBtinyISP to upload the necessary software onto the onboard ATmega 168V microprocessor to make it all work. I'm curious if Adafruit (or anyone else) sells preprogrammed ATmega chips I could buy and install into my clock that has the necessary firmware already burned in.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Preprogrammed ATmega 168V for GPS Mod

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We only stock chips programmed with the standard firmware in the Adafruit store. Possibly another forum member would be willing to program one for you.

phild13

Post by phild13 »

I think the firmware installed in the chip that comes with the clock already has the GPS mod in it.
https://github.com/adafruit/Ice-Tube-Clock

What issues are you having with the USBtinyISP and the firmware?

chuckvideo

Post by chuckvideo »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:We only stock chips programmed with the standard firmware in the Adafruit store. Possibly another forum member would be willing to program one for you.
Thanks for the fast response, I'll ask around to see if perhaps another member can provide a GPS enabled microprocessor.

chuckvideo

Post by chuckvideo »

PhilD13 wrote:I think the firmware installed in the chip that comes with the clock already has the GPS mod in it.
https://github.com/adafruit/Ice-Tube-Clock

What issues are you having with the USBtinyISP and the firmware?
I'm not sure what the problem is. I built the USBTinyISP a while back but never had a chance to really use it, so I'm not sure it's working for that matter. But if it is indeed working, the problems I'm having might be on the Terminal side. I'm good at programming and coding through say, the Arduino app, but I'm rusty when it come to Terminal.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

PhilD13 wrote:I think the firmware installed in the chip that comes with the clock already has the GPS mod in it.
I believe that the firmware that comes preinstalled is not the current version on GitHub. It's pre-GPS. :-(
chuckvideo wrote:I'm curious if Adafruit (or anyone else) sells preprogrammed ATmega chips I could buy and install into my clock that has the necessary firmware already burned in.
I would be willing to send you a chip at cost--around $3 plus shipping. Use the link in my footer to email me privately. Although I'd be happy to mail you a chip with the Adafruit GPS firmware, you might want to check out my xmas firmware instead (Adafruit forum, GitHub).
chuckvideo wrote:I'm not sure what the problem is. I built the USBTinyISP a while back but never had a chance to really use it, so I'm not sure it's working for that matter. But if it is indeed working, the problems I'm having might be on the Terminal side.
If you change your mind about wanting a preprogrammed chip, plenty of forum users--including Phil and myself--would be willing to help you figure out things on the terminal side. Just post a detailed description of your problem (e.g. pictures of the USBtinyISP board, front and back; what operating system you are using; a description of how you are trying to program the clock; the programming commands you're using; the error messages you are getting from the terminal; and anything else you think might be relevant).

phild13

Post by phild13 »

jarchie wrote: I believe that the firmware that comes preinstalled is not the current version on GitHub. It's pre-GPS. :-(
Was not sure of that and thought the version provided with clocks was what was on GitHub.

chuckvideo

Post by chuckvideo »

PhilD13 wrote:
jarchie wrote: I believe that the firmware that comes preinstalled is not the current version on GitHub. It's pre-GPS. :-(
Was not sure of that and thought the version provided with clocks was what was on GitHub.
jarchie wrote:
I believe that the firmware that comes preinstalled is not the current version on GitHub. It's pre-GPS. :-(
chuckvideo wrote:I'm curious if Adafruit (or anyone else) sells preprogrammed ATmega chips I could buy and install into my clock that has the necessary firmware already burned in.
I would be willing to send you a chip at cost--around $3 plus shipping. Use the link in my footer to email me privately. Although I'd be happy to mail you a chip with the Adafruit GPS firmware, you might want to check out my xmas firmware instead (Adafruit forum, GitHub).
chuckvideo wrote:I'm not sure what the problem is. I built the USBTinyISP a while back but never had a chance to really use it, so I'm not sure it's working for that matter. But if it is indeed working, the problems I'm having might be on the Terminal side.
If you change your mind about wanting a preprogrammed chip, plenty of forum users--including Phil and myself--would be willing to help you figure out things on the terminal side. Just post a detailed description of your problem (e.g. pictures of the USBtinyISP board, front and back; what operating system you are using; a description of how you are trying to program the clock; the programming commands you're using; the error messages you are getting from the terminal; and anything else you think might be relevant).
Thank you John and Phil for all your support, and once my work schedule slows down a little I'm going to dedicate a good chunk of a weekend into figuring out whether my problem lies with my USBTinyISP or on my weak Terminal skills. And I very well might be taking you up on your offers on helping me find what I must be doing wrong. It'll be something simple, I can already feel it.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

chuckvideo wrote:Thank you John and Phil for all your support, and once my work schedule slows down a little I'm going to dedicate a good chunk of a weekend into figuring out whether my problem lies with my USBTinyISP or on my weak Terminal skills. And I very well might be taking you up on your offers on helping me find what I must be doing wrong. It'll be something simple, I can already feel it.
You're very welcome! When the time comes, you might be interested in my posts on the GPS mod and installing the xmas firmware under Windows.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”