Ice Tube Clock Problem

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stormchaserjohn

Ice Tube Clock Problem

Post by stormchaserjohn »

Hello, I am new to the support forums, and am having difficulty with the Ice Tube Clock kit. The kit build was relatively simple, I got the start up "beep" when I hooked up the power, and the output voltage for the tube supply with the driver chip removed was 54.6 volts. In other words, it was working fine - up until the moment I mounted the tube.

I don't get a single segment illuminating - the tube is completely dark. Not sure what steps to take from here. Could this be another hexfet toasted by static?

I have photos taken of my build and solder joints if those would be helpful.

Thanks,

stormchaserjohn

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Tube Clock Problem

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have photos taken of my build and solder joints if those would be helpful.
Yes, please post those for a start. Also, measure the boot voltage and the bias voltage with the tube installed (see this post for details - http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=27032)

stormchaserjohn

Post by stormchaserjohn »

Problem solved, guys. Found a tiny solder bridge, removed it and it's all good.

Just thought I'd mention though - if it hasn't been addressed yet - that when building this kit, it might be a good idea to place the Schottkey diode (D4) before soldering in the battery holder. There wasn't room for me to get the diode in after soldering the battery holder, so had to remove the battery holder and solder D4 in first.

Other than this small issue, I must say that I've never seen a kit that went together as neatly and solidly as this one did. It is beautiful to look at, with all the retro chic! It's going to be a gift for my brother, and I know he's gonna love it.

Thanks for the awesome kit!

John

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Glad to hear it was something simple and everything is working now. Thanks for the feedback on the tutorial. :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”