Ice tube clock

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sonra

Re: Ice tube clock

Post by sonra »

Hi
I solve the problem partly < i after lot of tries succeed to found how to set the brightness and raised it to 8.5 now the voltage is about 30 volts ( is it too high ? ) but when i remove the jumper that shorts q3 the display begins to flickers and i see with scope ( coonected to d3 ) that the the power has ripple , so I suppose that q3 has really a problem
Regards Doron
BTY you don't explain what is right way to insert the battery ( mean what side up )

phild13

Post by phild13 »

Battery goes in big flat side (side with writing on it) facing up. The smaller side without writing contacts faces down and contacts the pad on the circuit board. If you installed it upside down it may be drained and need replacing.

Q3 supplied in kit is a FET and can be damaged by handling before installation. You can replace it with alternatives mentioned here http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 52#p277968 Since the display flickers, it is probably damaged in some way so replacing it with a new one or an alternative. If Q3 is bad, installed backwards or left jumpered while the clock is not powered it will drain the battery.

The kit firmware by default sets the clock brightness very very dim. Most of the time it is barely visible in a well lit room or work bench. The first thing I recommend before thinking something is wrong with the clock or display is to set the brightness of the display to a setting that is visible following the instructions. Darkening the room will help make the clock display more visible and easier to see the menus in order to set the brightness to a better value.

Maximum boost voltage available is controlled by Zener diode D5 and is limited to 60v, anything under that for a boost voltage is fine.

sonra

Post by sonra »

Thanks for help

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

All good advice from Phil.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”