Timesquare DIY Watch - Adding to I2C?

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gerzel

Timesquare DIY Watch - Adding to I2C?

Post by gerzel »

Hello,

I've assembled my timesquare, and love it, well ok I don't like the fit of the band (my wrist is just too big) and am working on finding a better enclosure to turn it into a pocket watch. With that in mind I'm thinking about other improvements that might be added, namely a temp sensor and perhaps a pressure sensor.

How hard would it be to add a low-power sensor or two? I'm thinking I can add to the i2c bus and implement them as another display mode. I'm also thinking of getting the parts separately and breadboarding them out so I can get a better idea of how things go together.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Timesquare DIY Watch - Adding to I2C?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

That should be possible.

af3556

Post by af3556 »

I've fiddled around with the Timesquare watch, attempting to add a 'temperature' mode using the ATMega's internal temperature sensor.

However, as the hardware is configured with the AREF pin tied to AVcc + Vcc, this prevents using the internal 1.1V reference - instead AREF is tied to the battery voltage. So you lose a lot of resolution - you only get 1.0 deg C / bit with the 1.1V reference, this degrades to ~3degC/bit with the battery as AREF.

(Aside: the 328 data sheet says "The internal 1.1V voltage reference must also be selected for the ADC voltage reference source in the temperature sensor measurement.", but it seems they really meant "should" rather than "must". i.e. using a larger AREF seems to work, but with poor resolution as above.)

Ben

Code: Select all

// sensor voltage sensitivity is ~1 mV/°C
// with the 1.1V reference and 10 bit range, this is ~1.1°C / bit
// 25°C ~= 314mV ~= 292
// with the AVcc=3V reference, ~3°C / bit
// 25°C ~= 314mV ~= 107
// - though AVcc varies with varying battery voltage
#define TEMPSAMPLESEXP 4  // number of samples = 2^n
#define TEMPOFFSET 324
#define TEMPSCALE 1.0

static int readTemperature() {

uint16_t adc;
  uint16_t n;
  float t;

power_adc_enable();
  // normally you'd use the internal 1.1V reference, but on the TIMESQUARE watch the
  // hardware has AREF tied to AVcc+Vcc, so you're stuck using that.
  ADMUX  = _BV(REFS0) |   // AVcc reference
           _BV(MUX3);     // ADC8 (temp sensor) input
  ADCSRA = _BV(ADEN)  |                // Enable ADC
           _BV(ADPS2) | _BV(ADPS1);    // 1/64 prescaler (8 MHz -> 125 KHz)

for(adc=0, n=0; n<(1<<TEMPSAMPLESEXP); n++) {
    ADCSRA |= _BV(ADSC);         // start the conversion
    while (ADCSRA & _BV(ADSC));  // wait for it to finish

adc += ADCW;  // read ADCH and ADCL in the correct sequence
  }
  ADCSRA = 0; // ADC off
  power_adc_disable();

adc >>= TEMPSAMPLESEXP;  // average (2^TEMPSAMPLESEXP samples)

// Vtemp = ADC * VREF / 1024
  // temp = Vtemp * 1000
  // - watch.getmV() is battery voltage * 1000
  t = ((float)adc * watch.getmV()) / 1024;
  return (int)((t - TEMPOFFSET) / TEMPSCALE + 0.5);
}

void mode_temp(uint8_t action) {

if(action != ACTION_NONE) {

if(action >= ACTION_HOLD_LEFT) {
      uint8_t depth = 6, plex = LED_PLEX_4;
      // Reduce depth/plex if battery voltage is low
      if(watch.getmV() < BATT_LOW_MV) {
        depth = 2;
        plex  = LED_PLEX_1;
      }
      // Reconfigure display if needed
      if((watch.getDepth() != depth) || (watch.getPlex() != plex))
        fps = watch.setDisplayMode(depth, plex, true);
    }

int t = readTemperature();
    if (t > 0) {
      digit[0] = (uint8_t)t / 10;
      digit[1] = (uint8_t)t - digit[0] * 10;
    }

// Reset sleep timeout on ANY button action.
    watch.setTimeout(fps * 3);
  }

watch.fillScreen(BACKGROUND);

/* blit: re-use the 'Set' mode's odoDigits */
  blit(odoDigits, 21, 128, 0, digit[0] * 8 + 1,  0, 2, 3, 5, 255);
  blit(odoDigits, 21, 128, 0, digit[1] * 8 + 1,  4, 2, 3, 5, 255);

// add 'degree' symbol (dot)
  watch.drawPixel(7,1,200);
}

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Nice try, anyway!

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

af3556 wrote:So you lose a lot of resolution - you only get 1.0 deg C / bit with the 1.1V reference, this degrades to ~3degC/bit with the battery as AREF.
The situation may be a bit worse, as the internal temperature sensor is only designed to detect gross temperature changes. According to the datasheet, "the accuracy of the temperature measurement is +/- 10°C." Using the internal 1.1v bandgap as a reference would probably not help much in regard to accuracy.

It is possible to eke out a bit more accuracy by calibrating the sensor to the particular chip, but the measurement is still pretty coarse. (See ATmel application note AVR122.)

af3556

Post by af3556 »

Yeah; seems like the sensor is relatively precise, but not very accurate from the factory. As AVR122 shows, calibration can bring the accuracy down to about 1 °C (they state +/-2°C in the introduction, though their results show about +/-1°C over room temperatures). The app note assumes the sensor has approx. 1 LSB/°C, whereas with the battery reference (~3V) applying the same technique I'd expect would result in +/-3°C at best, and probably worse given the battery voltage measurement is also subject to noise. Signal processing might help a bit (pun intended? :-).

The starting point of ~10°C is not very useful on the watch whereas ~1°C could be slightly useful, but 3-5°C is probably no better than what many people can estimate themselves.

Still, it was a good learning exercise.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

af3556 wrote:Still, it was a good learning exercise.
For you and me both. ;-) The only reason I know a little about the temperature sensor is that I really wanted to add software-only temperature compensated timekeeping to the Ice Tube Clock. Calibration might have given me the necessary accuracy, but I wanted other people to be able to use the mod without the hassle of calibration. In the end, I went with an external temperature sensor next to the crystal, which worked well.

I still think the Time Square temperature mod is pretty cool--even if it doesn't deliver perfect accuracy. After all, building a Time Square watch is more about coolness than practicality... at least in my opinion.
af3556 wrote:The starting point of ~10°C is not very useful on the watch whereas ~1°C could be slightly useful, but 3-5°C is probably no better than what many people can estimate themselves.
Yeah... My impression is that the internal temperature sensor was intended to detect overheating. It seems like you'd need a lot more accuracy for most other applications. Oh well.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”