Ice Tube Clock kit / initially blinks then fades

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
330ohm

Ice Tube Clock kit / initially blinks then fades

Post by 330ohm »

I have purchased two (2) Ice Tube Clock kits and assembled them as per adafruit instructions. I have assembled similar projects of equal difficulty and therefore had confidence in my ability to tackle the "Ice Tube Clock". The kit is truly nostalgic, and greatly appreciated. However, after following the instructions, as well as performing all multimeter testings, once the clock is plugged-in, it illuminates (blinking) for approximately thirty(30) - seconds and then goes dark.. My results were the same with the second assembly. Once assembled, these clocks were to be presented as gifts. Please direct me to a forum or link that can help, otherwise, please credit my account or send a replacement.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Tube Clock kit / initially blinks then fades

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It sounds like possibly a problem with Q3 - although the probability of getting 2 bad ones is small.

In any case, try this test: Carefully short the two outer pins of Q3 (pin1 to pin3). This effectively bypasses Q3. Does the display stay lit then?

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:In any case, try this test: Carefully short the two outer pins of Q3 (pin1 to pin3). This effectively bypasses Q3. Does the display stay lit then?
In case 330ohm is interested, this post has a picture and more background.

330ohm

Post by 330ohm »

Success! Thank you. I Carefully, "shorted the two outer pins of Q3 (pin1 to pin3). This effectively bypasses Q3. Does the display stay lit then?" Yes, the display stays lit. One is brighter than the other, at the same brightness setting, but I presume this is to be accepted, due to the inherent properties of the VFT coupled with the circuit design. What do I do from this point in order to use the clock as it was intended? If I keep the "jumper" attached will it eventually harm the (circuit) clock? Obviously, it will no longer keep time once the DC adapter is unplugged. What are my options as far as replacing Q3? Thanks again!!! You guys were spot-on!

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Bill might offer to replace both Q3s, but my unofficial advice appears later in the thread that I linked to before.

Leaving the jumper in place should be just fine, but if the battery is installed, the battery will die pretty quick if external power is lost. But I suspect you already realize that from reading the other thread.

330ohm

Post by 330ohm »

Jarchie,

Thank you for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can replace the Q3's from both of your kits. Jarchie's alternative solutions are good ones also. The choice is up to you.

330ohm

Post by 330ohm »

Bill,

Thank you very much for your assistance. I will contact [email protected].

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”