Setting The Time On DS1307

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: Setting The Time On DS1307

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Are you sure you have a fresh battery installed in the DS1307? Did you add a little blob of solder to the battery contact pad?

With the jumper in the USB position, as you have it, the power to the boarduino is coming from the FTDI, so that's why it stops working when you remove the FTDI. The power LED should go out.

motionpotion

Post by motionpotion »

Yup. There is a new battery in it. Also added the blob of solder.

That explains the power going off when I remove the FTDI. But does't explain that when I put it on the PWR setting the neo pixel ring turns on but doesn't show the ticking LED that was just working when FTDI was connected.

Is there something else I need to do to make the sketch/program persist when I switch it over to PWR?

adafruit_support_rick

Actually, the two positions are USB and EXT, not SEL and PWR. USB switches power to the FTDI Friend, EXT switches to the external power supply (barrel jack). Do you have an external supply connected when the jumper is in the EXT position?

motionpotion

Post by motionpotion »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Do you have an external supply connected when the jumper is in the EXT position?
Yes. I have a 5V/2000 mA adapter connected. It works fine now on USB except for being 25 minutes slow (I think) so the time does not set correctly under USB connection.

When I switch over to EXT position all of the LED's on the neo pixel ring light up from red to green to blue at the startup sequence and then 11 of them light blue and the rest a darker blue. The "tick" doesn't happen at all and they just stay like that.

adafruit_support_rick

motionpotion wrote:t works fine now on USB except for being 25 minutes slow (I think) so the time does not set correctly under USB connection.
The 25 minutes slow thing makes no sense at all. Are you sure your computer's time is set right?
motionpotion wrote:When I switch over to EXT position all of the LED's on the neo pixel ring light up from red to green to blue at the startup sequence and then 11 of them light blue and the rest a darker blue. The "tick" doesn't happen at all and they just stay like that.
That also makes no sense. Can you post the code you're using for this clock?

motionpotion

Post by motionpotion »

I agree. It makes no sense in either case. I've been trying to get this working for so long now that it is a puzzle worth solving now.

Uploading some additional photos of it working on USB with wrong time. And with various shades of blue/turquoise coloured lights when connected to EXT. [I also have a video of it working via USB - Is there a way to upload video?]
USB Working
USB Working
NeoPixelUSB.JPG (557.86 KiB) Viewed 461 times
EXT Not Working
EXT Not Working
NeoPixelEXT.JPG (616.12 KiB) Viewed 461 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes. I have a 5V/2000 mA adapter connected
For external power, you need 7v-12v. The voltage regulator needs a bit of headroom to regulate properly.

motionpotion

Post by motionpotion »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The voltage regulator needs a bit of headroom to regulate properly.
Just so I understand this ... the voltage regulator is not used when connected via USB (which gives less than 5V)?

Where could I buy get a barrel charger that produces between 7-12v? I have a 10v iPhone/iPad charger but that only has a USB connection.

adafruit_support_rick

Right - USB is assumed to be regulated 5V, so it bypasses the voltage regulator.
We have 9V supplies here:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/276

motionpotion

Post by motionpotion »

I got an adjustable power adapter. When I put it on 9 volts the clock works fine. Any less & clock seems unpredictable.

Thank you for your help & patience.

adafruit_support_rick

You're welcome!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”