Build Problem - ICE Tube Clock

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
elkinsra

Build Problem - ICE Tube Clock

Post by elkinsra »

Hi,

I built to the first voltage check point and am not getting the correct voltages on pin 1 and pin 3. In fact, I am not getting much voltage at all on Pin 1. I believe I followed instructions correctly and placed and soldered correct components properly (I've successfully built more complex projects before). I was able to validate that the AC Adapter is registering 9 volts, and I get 9 volts on the pins of the adapter port on the board. I am concerned that I am not seeing any voltage at all across pins of F1. I think if the component was working properly, I'd see voltage across its pins. Can you please advise what I should do now?

I've attached front and back side photos.

Thanks,

Rob
Attachments
2014-10-11 14.07.25.jpg
2014-10-11 14.07.25.jpg (945.09 KiB) Viewed 602 times
2014-10-11 14.07.14.jpg
2014-10-11 14.07.14.jpg (882 KiB) Viewed 602 times

phild13

Re: Build Problem - ICE Tube Clock

Post by phild13 »

You basically won't measure more than a few millivolts across the fuse F1 if it is not open (is passing current). Measuring from the regulator tab to each side of the F1 fuse you would get 9 volts DC nominal.

I would start by verifying that the Adapter is outputting 9 volts dc. The clock will not work with an 9 volt AC adapter.

Then verify that F1 is the fuse component and not a capacitor. They look similar, so verify that.

Then touch up the solder joints especially on the diodes, the regulator and the power jack as there are a number of starved solder points on those components and some that look cold in various places.

Then go back and verify voltages at the regulator. You should have about 8.8 volts (9 volts) DC between the regulator tab (Ground) and the outside pin (pin closest to edge of the board) and about 4.96 (5 volts) DC volts on inside pin (pin furthest from the board edge) of the regulator when measured to the tab (GND). If you don't have the 8.8 volts then work backwards from there to see where it is getting lost. If you have the 5 volt output, then work forward. You should have about 4.6 volts on the D2 diode pin closest to the board edge to the regulator tab.

The Icetube design pages has the circuit to help troubleshoot.
https://learn.adafruit.com/ice-tube-clock-kit/design

Hope this helps get you started.

elkinsra

Post by elkinsra »

Looks like the issue was a bad solder joint on one of the diodes. Thanks, all is good now!

Rob

phild13

Post by phild13 »

Great! Glad all is good.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”