Ice Cube clock: flickering digit

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
N6BM

Ice Cube clock: flickering digit

Post by N6BM »

I completed the build of my Ice Cube clock and had no problems with the build or programming. The clock works fine and all of the digits display solidly, but two of the digits flicker. This relates to the number "0" with seconds (unit digit) and the number "3" in the unit digit with minutes - hours display OK. I thought it might be a cold solder joint and went back and inspected and re-heated the points in the display tube p.c. board and the main board. I'd like to know if this could be a defect in the tube segment or if it could be the micro-processor chip? Traces are good, no solder bridges and voltages outlined in the manual are checked with a digital Fluke meter - OK.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Cube clock: flickering digit

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you post photos of the solder-sides of your boards, we'll take a look.
Another possibility is a marginal Q3. If you (carefully!) short together the first and third legs of Q3, does the flicker go away?

N6BM

Post by N6BM »

Here's a photo of the two boards as requested. All digits are solid except just the number zero in the seconds and only the number 3 in the minutes...hours show OK.
I checked the position of the position of Q3 and it has the flat side as outlined on the board. I have not done a short between pins 1 and 3 until you look at the boards.
Attachments
display tube end.JPG
display tube end.JPG (220.3 KiB) Viewed 878 times
display pc board
display pc board
display pc board.jpg (148.68 KiB) Viewed 878 times
mother board
mother board
mother board.JPG (250.4 KiB) Viewed 878 times

adafruit_support_bill

Soldering looks mostly pretty good. There are a few questionable looking ones on the tube board circled below. The topmost one looks a little solder-starved. The two next to it look like possible cold-joints. Touch those up and see if anything improves. If things are still flickering, try the Q3 test.

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (266.48 KiB) Viewed 871 times

N6BM

Post by N6BM »

I re-soldered the points mentioned in your previous answer and I still had the flicker problem with two of the digits. I shorted pins 1 & 3 of Q3 and the two segments that flickered are fixed. The whole display is brighter as I would have expected. I should find a replacement of the marginal Q3 if you can send one to me or forward a link for purchase. Would their be a disadvantage of leaving the short between pins 1 & 3 and not bother with replacing Q3?
Bill

adafruit_support_bill

Q3 cuts power to the tube heater when running on battery backup to avoid draining the battery. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can send a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”