No output from DS1307

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jericho

No output from DS1307

Post by jericho »

Hi-
I put together a DS1307 breakout board, but I can't seem to get it to work.
I have it hooked up to an Arduino Uno with pin A4 going to SDA and pin A5 going to SDL. I've tried using 5V and GND from the Arduino and also using and independent 5V power source for the DS1307. I measured the little coin cell that came with at 2.89V. The battery is not on the board in the picture but it was installed when I was testing it.
If I run the Examples sketch ds1307, it uploads to the Arduino without any trouble but when I open the Serial Monitor there is no output at all.
I trimmed down the sketch to just this:

#include <Wire.h>
#include "RTClib.h"
RTC_DS1307 RTC;
void setup () {
Serial.begin(57600);
Wire.begin();
RTC.begin();
}
void loop(){
Serial.println("loop......");
delay(1000);
DateTime now = RTC.now();
}

and when I run it, I see "loop...." in the Serial Monitor only once. I replaced the line DateTime now = RTC.now(); with if (! RTC.isrunning()) {
Serial.println("RTC is NOT running!");
and get the same result. Only see the word "loop..." once and not any other message.
I've used one of the breakout boards before and had great luck with it.
I'm not sure if it's something I've done wrong with this one. I've included a couple of pictures of the board.

Thanks for any help,
Jericho
Attachments
front.JPG
front.JPG (89.17 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
back.JPG
back.JPG (98.95 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: No output from DS1307

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Assembly looks fine. Can we see your connections to the Arduino too?

jericho

Post by jericho »

Thanks for the response.
Here is a picture of how it was hooked up.
Something else occured to me though. This clock is intednded for a project using the Adafruit Trinket #1501.
While assembling and wiring up the Trinket and the DS1307, the Adafruit instructions said that I should download an alternate Arduino IDE to use with the Trinket.
(Instructions here: https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide)
So I did all that and installed the modified IDE and associated libraries. Now I have 2 seperate Arduino IDE's; the one I used before the Trinket install which is version 1.06 and the second one I downloaded for the Trinket project which is version 1.05.
During my DS1307 testing (as I've described here) I am using my original 1.06 Arduino IDE.
I'm not sure if that muddies the waters or not....
Thanks-
Jericho
Attachments
hookup.JPG
hookup.JPG (265.49 KiB) Viewed 1079 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The IDE version should not make a difference in this case. All of the wiring and assembly look fine. Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement board.

jericho

Post by jericho »

Thank you - I appreciate the great support.
Jericho

jericho

Post by jericho »

Hi-
I wanted to post an update on the problem I was having with the DS1307.
I recieved the replacement unit a few days ago and had a chance to test it out today. After carefully assembling it, I found that it behaved the same way as the original DS1307. There is no way I had 2 bad ones in a row so after much trying and testing I found the problem. I replaced the processor on the Arduino Uno with another one I have for a back up and the DS1307 worked like a charm. I tried the original DS1307 with the new processor Arduino and that one worked perfectly as well.
So, I took the original Arduino processor and burned the bootloader on it again hoping it would fix the problem. But when I tested it again with either DS1307 it doesn't work. It's strange because the Arduino works otherwise, it takes a sketch and can communicate to the serial monitor, but it just doesn't want to work with the RTC for some reason. I think I will just shelve the old processor and call it good.
I contacted support to try and pay for the second DS1307, but they said that it was a free replacement.... awesome service, but I still think I should pay for the second unit.
Thanks,
Jericho

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”