Timesquare time not progressing

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
orangetiki

Timesquare time not progressing

Post by orangetiki »

Hey Adafruit Gang

I recently purchased a Timesquare kit and assembled it. All of the lights light up and I can go through all of the menus perfectly. One hitch though: The time does not seem to progress. If I set the time to 10:15 am and wait half an hour, the time is still 10:15 am. No date change no nothing. Everything else is spot on. I don't know if I have to accept the changes to the time that I set. I had an old casio that I had to do that to. I did not see anything in the directions.

I am a little new to building, and I love that projects like this exist. I may just re-program this to do something else but I wanted to know if I was doing anything wrong. Thanks

-Carlos S

pburgess

Re: Timesquare time not progressing

Post by pburgess »

Usually this is symptomatic of the RTC chip not working, or not communicating with the microcontroller. Look over your soldering for any iffy connections or shorts. Also, check that the legs of the crystal aren't touching each other, and that the clock chip is installed in the right direction (the 'bite' should be facing the battery).

If you can get a reasonably clear close-up photo and post it here, we can look it over for any gremlins.

orangetiki

Re: Timesquare time not progressing

Post by orangetiki »

Hey thanks for replying so fast. I figured it had something to do with the 8 pin chip. There was mention that this was what timed the clock. I did test with a multimeter, and it seems as if everything is working. What I did was placed the positive on the top of the pin on the chip and had the negative at the battery ( because I was not confident enough that I could get the negative not touching the leg but the circle on the board only. ) Attached is a photo of my work. Let me know if you have any other ideas. As I mentioned it's a great project. I am just nervous about getting off the screen. My hands were a little large just to get the screen on.
IMG_20150102_160338.jpg
IMG_20150102_160338.jpg (382.73 KiB) Viewed 888 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”