Ice Tube Clock "pur rset" message

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Orandako

Ice Tube Clock "pur rset" message

Post by Orandako »

Hello, I recently purchased an adafruit ice tube clock on ebay, reportedly having the xmas firmware installed. I have a stock ice tube clock that I built for comparison. The new clock flashes the (incorrect) time alternating with "pur rset" the "u" has a bar over it, so am guessing this is maybe "power reset"???

Pushing the menu button takes me to alarm set, pushing it again takes me back to time/pur rset. I can't get to anything else. I tried unplugging the power, I tried taking out the backup battery... to no avail. I cannot find any mention of this status/error message in the ice tube documentation, on this forum, or on the web.

Any help appreciated, this was intended as a birthday present for my son this weekend, but now I am scrambling.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Tube Clock "pur rset" message

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I don't know the answer, but the author of the xmas firmware does frequent this forum. With luck he will chime in with an answer.

russell 27

Post by russell 27 »

I built one of these and have come upon this reading myself. Did you try and set the time. Clock Facing you the button order is menu, set, +. Press menu then +, this should get you to time set. Then press set to start with hour then + to advance, etc. It seems like I had to ground the ISP reset pin once to restart clock, you may not need to do that. John will probably be around shortly.
Last edited by russell 27 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

russell 27

Post by russell 27 »

Here's a photo. You can make out the button markings. It's possible to have different button configurations, thought yours may be set up like this.
image.jpg
image.jpg (783.22 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

Orandako

Post by Orandako »

Thank you all so much for your help! I panicked with the boy's birthday so close, and ordered a new ice clock kit! He actually helped me build mine a few years ago, and that was my first choice, but adafruit was out-o-stock, so I turned to ebay... Now, maybe I'll keep this one, and help him build his own.

Meanwhile, with your help, I have managed to set the time and date, and the clock seems to function. Now, anyone know how to set 24 hour time vs 12 hour time? In the long run, where can I find a map of the commands for the "xmas" firmware commands?

BTW I've ordered a USBtinyISP AVR Programmer kit from adafruit, so that will no doubt generate another raft of questions for this forum...
Thanks again.

Orandako

Post by Orandako »

Never mind the short-term question, I figured out 24-hour format. Anyone know where there there is a diagram of the command structure for the Xmas firmware?

Thanks again.

MikeHg

Post by MikeHg »

You find all the information in the XMAS Firmware usage document. It can be found here:
https://github.com/johngarchie/xmas-ice ... ware/USAGE

Best regards,
Mike

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Orandako wrote:Hello, I recently purchased an adafruit ice tube clock on ebay, reportedly having the xmas firmware installed.
Wow. I guess someone is selling preassembled Ice Tube Clocks with my firmware. The nylon hardware and board color seem different, so I'm guessing that these clocks are not built from official Adafruit kits. I do not know the eBay seller berkeleyeshop, but I am flattered that s/he chose to preinstall my xmas firmware.
Orandako wrote:The new clock flashes the (incorrect) time alternating with "pur rset" the "u" has a bar over it, so am guessing this is maybe "power reset"???
Wow, good guess! You are exactly right. Whenever the microcontroller is reset, the time cannot be trusted, so the time flashes along with one of the reset messages. This is mainly for debugging, as it sometimes help to know why time was lost. There's a complete list of similar messages in the firmware/README file... Just search for "pwr rset".
Orandako wrote:Pushing the menu button takes me to alarm set, pushing it again takes me back to time/pur rset. I can't get to anything else.
As you already discovered, xmas uses a different button scheme. Although xmas does support the Adafruit scheme, that option can only be chosen when the firmware is compiled and installed in the clock. It takes a while to become accustomed to to the xmas scheme, but most users who take the time prefer it to the Adafruit one.
Orandako wrote:BTW I've ordered a USBtinyISP AVR Programmer kit from adafruit, so that will no doubt generate another raft of questions for this forum...
If you do decide to reconfigure xmas to use the Adafruit button scheme, the USBtinyISP will allow you to do so. But do consider the benefits of a scheme that's simpler and less context dependent:

With the default xmas firmware settings, there is one button for each function:
  • enter/exit menu: menu button
  • next: plus button
  • select/set: set button
With the Adafruit button scheme, the button used for the first two functions depends on context:
  • enter/exit menu: menu button to enter menu, menu button to exit menu when a setting value or final menu label is displayed, plus button to exit menu when a menu label is displayed
  • next: menu button when a menu label is displayed, plus button when a setting value is displayed
  • select/set: set button
MikeHg wrote:You find all the information in the XMAS Firmware usage document. It can be found here:
https://github.com/johngarchie/xmas-ice ... ware/USAGE
The firmware/USAGE file is definitely worth checking out.

Orandako

Post by Orandako »

On casual inspection, it LOOKS like an Adafruit kit, clear case and all. I'll look harder at the circuit board. Anyway, in the meantime I ordered a now-in-stock-again Adafruit kit for my son to build. I think he'll have a lot of fun with that.

jarchie, I do agree your button usage is more rational than a contextual hierarchy. I look forward to exploring the xmas firmware code when I have the time. I really intend to use the AVR programmer to play and learn.

Thanks again to all for the helpful comments.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Orandako wrote:On casual inspection, it LOOKS like an Adafruit kit, clear case and all. I'll look harder at the circuit board. Anyway, in the meantime I ordered a now-in-stock-again Adafruit kit for my son to build. I think he'll have a lot of fun with that.
You could be right. I was mainly going by the picture on the eBay product page. The nuts and bolts are white nylon, and the Adafruit kits I've seen come with black nylon hardware. The boards are light green, but the official Adafruit kits I've seen come with dark blue boards. The product description seems carefully worded to avoid calling the product an "Adafruit clock"--or any similar phrase that would indicate the parts were from an Adafruit kit. Instead, the description only claims that the clock "was originally designed by Adafruit and carefully hand-assembled."
Orandako wrote:I look forward to exploring the xmas firmware code when I have the time. I really intend to use the AVR programmer to play and learn.
In that case, you might consider going through the xmas installation tutorial (Windows or Mac). The tutorial explains the purpose of each file and how to orient yourself in the code base.

csell

Post by csell »

I just purchased an Ice Tube clock and took inventory of the parts. The parts list calls out for a ZVP 3306 and my kit has a ZVP 211 OA, will this work instead of the ZVP 3306?

Thanks, Chris Sell 203-733-3935

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

csell wrote:I just purchased an Ice Tube clock and took inventory of the parts. The parts list calls out for a ZVP 3306 and my kit has a ZVP 211 OA, will this work instead of the ZVP 3306?
Yes. The ZVP2110A is a better part for Q3 and a recent addition to the kit. I guess the docs haven't been updated yet.

If you have any other related questions, I suggest creating a new thread.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”