Ice Tube Clock Display Problem

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rugbearge

Ice Tube Clock Display Problem

Post by rugbearge »

I recently purchased and assembled an Ice Tube Clock kit. I had completed the assembly per the instructions and each test passed with the voltages within the allowable range. In addition to this the clock worked without issue the first time I powered it up. However, when I tried to test the battery backup circuit the clock shut off. When I went to plug the clock in again the buzzer sounded and I was able to cycle through the menu without issues. However, each of the indicators had several segments that were constantly lit when they shouldn't be. In addition to this, I found that the voltage at D3 would vary from 16.6 V to 18.7 V, which in turn varied the brightness of the display. The clock did not have this variation in voltage, constant at 47.5 V, with the display unplugged from the circuit. The voltage at the 7805 remained a constant 8.7 V and 5.04 V at pins 1, and 3. I checked Q3 for damage by shorting pins 1 and 3, but found no changes. Also, the battery backup circuit still does not function. Any recommendations on how to proceed with this problem?
Attachments
IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0700.JPG (377.88 KiB) Viewed 785 times
IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0688.JPG (615.51 KiB) Viewed 785 times
IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG (789.34 KiB) Viewed 785 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Tube Clock Display Problem

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I don't see any assembly issues. Can you post a photo or two showing the display issues?

rugbearge

Post by rugbearge »

The first picture is an example of the time display. The second and third picture are examples of the menu options display, which are "Set Time" and "Set Alarm", respectively. To me, it seems that the middle segment and the upper right segment are the ones that are always on. In regards to the varying brightness issue, I found that it changes brightness every time the clock counts 3 seconds. However, the brightness does not always vary, and seems to do so at random, but when it does vary it does so in 3 second increments.
Attachments
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG (940.44 KiB) Viewed 754 times
IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG (869.98 KiB) Viewed 754 times
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG (391.56 KiB) Viewed 754 times

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

rugbearge wrote:To me, it seems that the middle segment and the upper right segment are the ones that are always on.
These segments are not lit on blank digits or on the letter "L." But if one is lit, so is the other. This suggests a short between the two segments you mention. The soldering is excellent, so the short might be within the tube itself.

rugbearge

Post by rugbearge »

Thanks for the input jarchie. I presume this would mean that the tube and pcb would need to be replaced. Would you know if there was anything that I did wrong to cause this fault or would the tube have to be faulty to begin with to cause this? Also would I be able to get these replacement parts through Adafruit or am I on my own with this?

adafruit_support_bill

I agree with jarchie. This is typically caused by a short in the soldering. But the soldering heer is exemplary. The short is most likely internal to the tube. Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and request a replacement tube and side-board.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

rugbearge wrote:Would you know if there was anything that I did wrong to cause this fault or would the tube have to be faulty to begin with to cause this?
Assuming the problem is an internal short within the tube--and I think it is--the failure is almost certainly not your fault. Adafruit does pretest their tubes, but once in a blue moon, a defective tube slips through.

adafruit_support_bill

We test to make sure all the segments light up. We don't put them through a comprehensive test of all combinations to rule out shorts like this. It is also possible that something shook loose in shipping. These are complex and semi-fragile devices.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”