Monochron Clock Destroyed Pad (Need Help)

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brandz96

Monochron Clock Destroyed Pad (Need Help)

Post by brandz96 »

Hi guys, I am in need of some help here...

This is my first real project and i making the monochron clock! it was all going smoothly today until my perfectionist brain decided to try and desolder the SW1 switch because it was slightly, very slightly, unstraight. Because of this, i unfortunately destroyed the pads for the SW1.

I am wondering if by not having this switch installed does this mean the clock will not function properly or is it just for the alarm? i have no clue how to go about repairing the pad so i was thinking i could just go on without the alarm function, if this is possible?

Here are the links for the photos of the pads:

http://s2.postimg.org/rlsqe6wix/photo_1.jpg
http://s4.postimg.org/mkua16wy5/photo_2.jpg

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated.

thank you,

brandon

toinec

Re: Monochron Clock Destroyed Pad (Need Help)

Post by toinec »

Hi Brandon,

I can only provide you an answer based on the firmware that is running on Monochron.

The default Retro Arcade Table Tennis (RATT) firmware detects changes in the on/off position of the switch for driving the master alarm on/off with alarming/snoozing/silent state, and only for that purpose.
If there's no switch then the firmware assumes that the switch is permanently off.
So, apart from the built-in alarm, your clock will work fine.

On the bright side: you now have an incentive to create your own firmware that introduces a soft switch for alarm on/off.
Looks like you've created yourself a small software project involving the Monochron setup page!

Cheers & enjoy your Monochron clock,
Toine

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

It looks like there is only one broken pad on one side of the switch. This is not electrically important, but instead helps keep the switch secure. You could probably solder the switch back in place with the remaining pads, and the switch might very well work.

If you look carefully at the board, there is one pad connecting to a trace that goes to the resistor/LED and microcontroller. Another pad connects to the ground plane. These are the only two connections that are electrically important, so if those two connections are good, the alarm switch should work.

phild13

Post by phild13 »

Careful with the photo links. My Anti-virus trips a warning when the photo links are viewed. Perhaps the free photo site is not completely legit and the photos should be added to the post instead of linked and the links removed from the post?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”