Ice Clock- Tube is Slanted

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
exaltron

Ice Clock- Tube is Slanted

Post by exaltron »

Very excited to have finished the ice clock and seems to be working fine. I had a few non-fatal errors, mainly not setting the tube into the silkscreen far enough. For some reason in the instructions there is this image of the tube about 1/4" shy of being flush- I interpreted this as the point to stop pulling it through and soldered it in place before realizing it could go further without damaging the leads. Stupid on my part but I still can't figure out what that image is doing there- it doesn't seem to be conveying any kind of "step" or milestone.

Aside from that I had the VFD chip upside down, in my case it dropped in much more easily upside down than right side up.

I followed the instructions on assembling the case and the tube seems to fit despite the extra length of leads ahead of the tube, but for some reason the tube slants upwards on the left hand side. Is this a known issue with some tubes? Is there another side panel with a lower hole for the tube to fit in? Initially I figured this had to do with my error, but the more I look at, the more it seems to be a completely separate issue.
Attachments
3741.jpg
3741.jpg (889.56 KiB) Viewed 842 times
3740.jpg
3740.jpg (1004.56 KiB) Viewed 842 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Ice Clock- Tube is Slanted

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The slant seems to be simply because of the way you have the tube leads bent. You should be able to adjust that.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Just be very careful and try not to break any of the leads. If they break close to the glass they will be impossible to repair. The tubes are becoming harder to find these days and we don't have a source for replacements at this time.

Another option would be to enlarge the hole on the other side so the tip of the tube can sit lower.

exaltron

Post by exaltron »

Ok, thanks for the insight, I will give that a try. If I find a vacuum tube somewhere, would it be possible to get a replacement silkscreen and header for it so I can do it over correctly?

exaltron

Post by exaltron »

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Those tubes should work. We do have a few of the PCBs and headers in stock: https://www.adafruit.com/products/343

ortsac

Post by ortsac »

Just by looking at the pictures you posted, the microcontroller IC is not plugged in all the way its own socket....that's why your eyes deceive you from thinking that the tube is slanted. With power off, carefully push the microcontroller into the socket.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”