1pps for ice tube clock kit

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kc2ttt

1pps for ice tube clock kit

Post by kc2ttt »

would someone be able to help with adding a 1pps input to the ice tube clock kit? I have a dual oven gps ref for my test gear and would like to sync it, i saw a user of another product used one of the microprocessor pins to measure the freq. or something to have it track, my clock loses about 15-30 seconds a week. I know i can trim the crystal in but the sync would be better.

jarchie

Re: 1pps for ice tube clock kit

Post by jarchie »

This isn't exactly what you're describing, but you might want to take a look at my xmas firmware. There are a number of options for software-based compensation for time drift, GPS synchronization, and temperature compensated timekeeping.

The large drift you describe is typical of a correctly assembled Ice Tube Clock kit. If you swap out the 20 pF caps for 10 pF caps, the clock is almost dead-on accurate.

wildtang3nt

Re: 1pps for ice tube clock kit

Post by wildtang3nt »

I can attest to jarchie's claim. Even just swapping the XTAL filter caps as he says makes a measurable improvement in the stock firmware, it was the first mod I did. However, dropping in a 328 and switching to his firmware means <15s drift/year in my experience using it for almost three years now. It is currently running 2s slow, I can't remember when I last bothered to correct it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”