Ice Tube Clock Transistor Display Issue

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nicolask

Ice Tube Clock Transistor Display Issue

Post by nicolask »

Hi, I ordered an ice tube clock (confirmation number included below) from you in August of last year and have only just gotten around to assembling it. The tube is giving me exactly the same issue as described in the followingthreadon your support forum. I've verified that the transistor I have for Q3 is a ZVP3306A, additionally I've re-soldered all the connections for the tube and VFD chip, and that hasn't changed the display. I've included a photo of the display, and I was hoping it would be possible to have a replacement transistor sent out to me. If you require any further information please let me know!

Order Confirmation No: 559866-2625068701

IMG_20150905_113133.jpg
IMG_20150905_113133.jpg (1004.81 KiB) Viewed 1329 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ice Tube Clock Transistor Display Issue

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and we can send a replacement.

nicolask

Post by nicolask »

Hi Bill,

I've received the transistor (thank you!) and installed it on the clock board. However, now when I plug it in, the board doesn't beep and the display doesn't light up. I've verified the 5V power is coming in as it should and I'm getting the correct numbers there. Everything else I've read on this board suggests its an issue with chip if the buzzer isn't sounding. Is there any other steps I should check to verify?

adafruit_support_bill

Please post photos of the front and back of the main board and the soldering on the tube board.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

As Adafruit_Support_Bill wrote, posting photos of the front and back of the main board is the best next step. A few other things might be worth trying:

(1) With the clock powered, touch the resettable fuse. Is it warm?

(2) Try powering up the clock with the tube assembly removed, does the clock beep normally?

(3) Solder rosin can occasionally conduct when the rosin is burnt through board rework. If you can see discolored rosin around Q3, unplug the clock and remove the battery. Scrub the area around Q3 with alcohol and a toothbrush until clean. Rinse with the alcohol, and wait for the board to dry completely before powering the board. Does it beep then?

nicolask

Post by nicolask »

Hi there, apologies for the delay in replying! Got caught up in schoolwork and haven't had a lot of free time. I've attached photos of the front and back of the board as requested. During the initial build before I replaced the transistor, the clock passed all the checks mentioned in the build guides (ie: proper voltage levels, beep on plugin etc.). If you need anything else please let me know!
IMG_20150921_173938.jpg
IMG_20150921_173938.jpg (512.57 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
IMG_20150921_174334.jpg
IMG_20150921_174334.jpg (447.79 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

adafruit_support_bill

Thanks for the photos. I don't see any obvious issues with the assembly. Have you tried jarchie's diagnostic suggestions posted above?
As Adafruit_Support_Bill wrote, posting photos of the front and back of the main board is the best next step. A few other things might be worth trying:

(1) With the clock powered, touch the resettable fuse. Is it warm?

(2) Try powering up the clock with the tube assembly removed, does the clock beep normally?

(3) Solder rosin can occasionally conduct when the rosin is burnt through board rework. If you can see discolored rosin around Q3, unplug the clock and remove the battery. Scrub the area around Q3 with alcohol and a toothbrush until clean. Rinse with the alcohol, and wait for the board to dry completely before powering the board. Does it beep then?

nicolask

Post by nicolask »

Hi Bill,

Again apologies for the long response. I've tested the board without the tube and it beeps normally when I plug it in, additionally the fuse is not warm.

MikeHg

Post by MikeHg »

If it is not the clock itself it could also be the wiring of the tube. Could you please post a photo of the tube PCB?

Regards,
Mike

adafruit_support_bill

No beep indicates that the processor is not running anymore. Let's re-verify that you still have a solid 5v coming from the regulator.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Another good diagnostic would be to measure the voltage on all three pins of Q3, both with the tube inserted and with the tube removed.

nicolask

Post by nicolask »

Hi, I've attached a photo of the soldering connection to the clock tube. Additionally I read a voltage of 4.71 volts across the pins of the transistor.
IMG_20151217_103636.jpg
IMG_20151217_103636.jpg (993.5 KiB) Viewed 1021 times

nicolask

Post by nicolask »

Sorry, to clarify the 4.71 volts is without the clock tube attached. With the clock tube attached I read a voltage of 4.02 volts

nicolask

Post by nicolask »

Happy to report I've managed to get the display working! It lit up after I cleaned the board with some isopropyl alcohol and retouched a couple of the soldering joints to the tube. Not too sure which of those fixed it, but happy to have it working!

adafruit_support_bill

That is good to hear! Thanks for the follow-up.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”