desktop ovens

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
charliex

Re: desktop ovens

Post by charliex »

Limor, did you end up making a PID controller for the QK870 ?

I'm sitting soldering up a few boards by hand, and they're getting to the point where its silly not to go to some sort of flow process. I can bang out the pcb's and brass solder masks on CNC so i might as well go to the next step, though i think it'll be a while before i'm looking at a PNP machine though.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

our temperature controller project is in progress - but not complete!

charliex

Post by charliex »

cool thanks , i'll keep an eye out then.

gsattler

Post by gsattler »

Adafruit, don't count on everything from MadellTech being well made. So far we are 0 for 3 from them, the stuff we got was really poorly machined and constructed. I guess its just item by item.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

agreed, this isnt made by them we are almost positive its made elsewhere. we were a bit 'pleasantly surprised' by getting what we paid for :mrgreen:

freaklabs

Post by freaklabs »

Second that. The Quick870 hot plate is holding up well over here too. It's carrying all my reflow and rework load and working very well. No automated control on it right now though. If I ever get a second machine, then I can play with it.

charliex

Post by charliex »

adafruit wrote:agreed, this isnt made by them we are almost positive its made elsewhere. we were a bit 'pleasantly surprised' by getting what we paid for :mrgreen:
so i started pulling apart my qk870, the atmega8 is locked, so asked madell nicely for the firmware, they said no. So i think i found the OEM http://www.quick-korea.com have asked them for the firmware too :)

though i'm reasonably sure it'd be easier to just replace the electronics than rewrite it, its pretty simple. I'm hoping thats why the high temp thermocouple appeared in the adafruit store a while ago.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

well ive got good news and bad news. the good news is i figured out a reasonable program for using the powerswitch tail with the q870 and used that happily for a few weeks
the bad news is that ~ a week ago i decided to try out using black & decker infrawave oven and it is so much better than a hotplate that ive shelved the 870. ill still release the code but i dont think ill do more development on getting better hotplate performance :/

charliex

Post by charliex »

well ok :) which one did you go with ?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

what do you mean?

charliex

Post by charliex »

there are a couple of models of the infrawave.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

huh! we got whatever was on amazon. sorry it doesnt seem to have any markings on it and we tossed the box :/ whats the differences between them?

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?rh=k%3 ... =infrawave turns up 2-3 options, not counting the toaster and the knockoffs, but I'm guessing that a rotisserie is not high on the list of requirements.

charliex

Post by charliex »

well you know what they say it never hurts to ask ;) i'll pick up one of the regular ones and give it a go.

cheers.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”