Vacuum pen for 0603

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ai_dude

Vacuum pen for 0603

Post by ai_dude »

Anyone know where I can get one? My Aoyue 852++ is inhaling 0603's if I don't come directly down onto the part.
Thanks,
-Neil.

alex_dubinsky

Re: Vacuum pen for 0603

Post by alex_dubinsky »

My motorized vacuum pen (some weird thing I found on Ebay) came with syringe tips (same type as used for solder paste). The syringe opening is too small to suck in parts.

ai_dude

Post by ai_dude »

I found a partial answer. I have a syringe that has a smaller diameter (than my vacuum pickup tool) needle, and I will try cutting off part of that needle and "attaching" it to the vacuum pickup tool. The needle does fit inside the vacuum pickup tube nozzle. Hopefully this works.

mikeselectricstuff

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

For chips parts. just use standard stainless dispensing nozzles, bent as required for best working angle

lyndon

Post by lyndon »

Do you have multiple pens for different size parts, or change out the tip as needed? What's considered best practice? I'm still using tweezers, but I want to make a manual PnP with a vacuum pickup when I have the time.

Rochey

Post by Rochey »

Lyndon,

I recently built a vacuum pen setup. If it's any help, have a read of the thread I wrote.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=45094.0

I used it this weekend to help assemble this board:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic ... 582701#new

(An air controller for a vacuum pen and solder paste dispenser).

Cheers.

/R

lyndon

Post by lyndon »

Rochey:
thanks for posting that. Very informative. I'm lucky in that I already have a small vacuum pump with a reservoir and lots of tubing, connectors, solenoid valves etc available. I have a well-stocked junk pile after a few years in the aquarium hobby :-)

I like your parts holder but I'm also concerned about static buildup. I think bare wood is good from an antistatic perspective. Since the base of my PnP is likely to be thick particle board, I'll investigate how hard it is to mill slots in it.

I have pretty much all the parts and tools I need to build this. The one thing I lack is time :-(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”