Would you recommend the MDC7722?

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
atwoik

Would you recommend the MDC7722?

Post by atwoik »

I've been looking at various benchtop SMT pick and place machines with intension to buy one in the near future. Would anyone of you recommend the MDC7722?

Thanks.

blogger

Re: Would you recommend the MDC7722?

Post by blogger »

Hardware, yes.
Still waiting for usable software, without which the thing is practically worthless.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

while we agree the software has a ways to go, it doesnt seem like its worse than -any other- pick and place software for the same price range. it was a little bit of a struggle and frustration to start, but after about 100 hours of time spent with the machine and programming in boards i find it pretty easy to run the boards that i make - you can check the tutorials we have here (they do not replace a training type session unless you are good with machinery)
http://www.ladyada.net/wiki/mdcpickandplace

blogger

Post by blogger »

My problem isn't with the LOOK of software.
Its the RANDOMNESS. This is a precision instrument and I should never think twice "will it pickup this component today or not". And this is exactly what it does. I've put thousands of boards through it, but I still have to wonder each time if its gonna pickup this 3225 crystal or throw it in the reject bin.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we have a pickup vision loss of about 1% (never had any problems with the actual pickupness, usually its a vision issue)
we used to have maybe 5% with some parts but after isono gave us some hints about tweaking the vision its much better on almost everything cept maybe mini-USB where we get about 90% placement but those are easy to recycle so its not a big deal

note that even a $70K machine has pickup/placement issue :)
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10351

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”