OSTOC(Open source toaster oven controller)

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zippys123

OSTOC(Open source toaster oven controller)

Post by zippys123 »

Hi guys,

i got an idea of opensource toaster oven controller for many SMD soldering. yup there are many opensource
controllers but some are difficult to build or simply less info to build one yourself,but there is a need for a compact,opensource,specific,easily hackable,easy to build with minimal parts.so just an idea for someone to build it,sorry guys i am not an geek but in serious hobby :-) just check the attached file.

Below some suggested features:-

*all in one built around a case to protect against high voltages involved in input supply for oven.
*2*16 character lcd for temp readings.
*USB for datalogging and control from a pc.
*protected socket for oven power supply.
*no need to hack an oven just plug in power and install temperature sensor.
*opensouce software for soldering profile setting and temp monitoring.

if anyone interested can start a project around it..

Thanks
Varun
Attachments
oven.png
oven.png (51.43 KiB) Viewed 2799 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: OSTOC(Open source toaster oven controller)

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Could be a nice extension of this project: http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/01/05/ospid/

zippys123

Post by zippys123 »

yes i had informed brett he told the firmware is getting ready and has plans for it but skeptical about those power plugs so planning to use a powerswitchtail... but as soon as ospid eagle files are ready i will try this as it will significantly help beginers in smd reflow. :)

smilingcat

Post by smilingcat »

Hi,

typically for reflow, there is the ramp up, soak, reflow, and cool down. Will the osPID be capable of handling the temperature profile?

And if you are using a thermocouple, where is the cold junction?

I was designing my own controller and was planning on using MC3063 opto isolated switch with L4008D6 triac to control the on/off of the toaster oven. heating element would be PWM'd

But if you have a working solution, I prefer not to reinvent the DIY wheel. And I also have more pressing projects at the moment.

A descent reflow oven would be nice but for now I just did ballistic approach (open loop), place the populated board in a "cold" toaster oven, turn the oven to about 150F wait for about 4 minutes. Crank the heat on high, wait for reflow to melt. Turn off the oven, wait 30 seconds, cracked open the front door, then opened all the way after 2 minutes. and carefully pulled out the board. I had 44TQFP CPLD, 24 SSOP, 48 TSSOP, several SOT-23, and whole bunch of 1210 sized parts. feature size of the board 7/7 width/space on trace. smallest via 16mil. components on both sides. 1210 is about small as I want to go. Did have few 0804 parts. Had two minor bridge on the TSSOP part. And oh I did use a stencil for the paste.

What about a small fan inside to get more even heating in the toaster oven?

And oh my first post here. quick bio. yes I'm an engineer. Used to be a mixed signal ASIC designer. VHDL can do. SPICE can do... Forced into early retirement. Do I know a lot NO. :mrgreen: There is so much still to learn.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”