How to build testing jigs for SMD-based boards with end connectors?

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vputz

How to build testing jigs for SMD-based boards with end connectors?

Post by vputz »

My current project is a glorified serial-to-USB adapter (which does a good bit of magic on the serial data; it's a "hardware driver" for old serial-based devices). Everything's gone well and I've got a nice small SMD-based board. It's cute.

Only... it's not clear to me how to build a test jig for it. I'm planning on building a pogo-based programmer through the through-hole ISP pads, and since the DB9 is through-hole (the only through-hole part, but I can't find a purely SMD DB9 for nearly as low a cost) I could access its pins via those "cup" pogos which I've always wondered about.

But the micro-USB port isn't clear. I can see adding through-hole solder pads for each line to access them from below, but that would take up extra space on the board and it'd be nice if I didn't have to. But is that the only way? Am I missing an obvious tool?

alphatronique

Re: How to build testing jigs for SMD-based boards with end connectors?

Post by alphatronique »

Hi

you have 2 way for go whit pogo-pin

put 2mm pad on bottom on whit gig that have pin on bottom part and board hold by top

or flip board and probe it by the top so you may better acesse some smd part
but still preferable to put 2mm pad for probe landing ,that avoid flux build up that make bad contact

Best regard
Marc lalonde
www.alphatronique.com

vputz

Post by vputz »

That's basically what I did (just put in pads for a four-pin connector, which I'll leave empty and use for pogos--they didn't have to be through-hole pin holes, but I would have had to have vias anyway, so I just did it that way).

So if I just get hold of some more pins, both the cup type and the point type, I can use a sacrificial board for the plugs and then just place the built boards on the pogos and it should connect and work. The extra pads took up a bit of space, but the testability should make it worthwhile.

alphatronique

Post by alphatronique »

Hi

idea was to not forgot that time you put on jig design was once

time you will save later whit that jig was x number board you make :mrgreen:

same apply to pcb take extra time carefully route a pcb cost noting
if that permit to save 1$ and you make a million of board later .....
that often forgot and ppl try to rush to make production board ..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”