DIY pick and place

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
daniel_amesberger

DIY pick and place

Post by daniel_amesberger »

Hi,
I thought I'll post some infos on a DIY pick and place machine I am building:
http://amesberger.BANNED.com/2013/07 ... e-machine/
Maybe someone finds the infos useful

Daniel

adafruit_support_bill

Re: DIY pick and place

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Wow! Nice project. Thanks for posting :D

daniel_amesberger

Here is a quick video testing 0603 placement with and without vision alignment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTaeEG4P-E4

peter_

Post by peter_ »

that's beautiful work, thanks for sharing!

i'm also working on a pick and place -- can i ask what your 're using for your head machanism? they look like some kind of solenoid that allows vacuum suction, but you seem to have a pretty clever mechanism to allow the heads to change.

thanks!

daniel_amesberger

peter_ wrote:that's beautiful work, thanks for sharing!

i'm also working on a pick and place -- can i ask what your 're using for your head machanism? they look like some kind of solenoid that allows vacuum suction, but you seem to have a pretty clever mechanism to allow the heads to change.

thanks!
For the two heads I use two venturi vacuum generators combined with four compressed-air valves. They are on the back of the head so you can't see them in the video. Two of the valves switch on the vacuum, the other two generate a short pulse (15ms) to blow off the part. You can buy these valves completely integrated (venturi vacuum generator and two valves in one block).
For the nozzle changer I just glued a neodym magnet ring to the pickup nozzle. The SMD nozzles are clipped to a toolholder with simple fuse clips.
The rotation is done by a hollow shaft stepper motor. If you need more details I could post a close-up picture.

Daniel

peter_

Post by peter_ »

daniel_amesberger wrote: For the two heads I use two venturi vacuum generators combined with four compressed-air valves. They are on the back of the head so you can't see them in the video. Two of the valves switch on the vacuum, the other two generate a short pulse (15ms) to blow off the part. You can buy these valves completely integrated (venturi vacuum generator and two valves in one block).
For the nozzle changer I just glued a neodym magnet ring to the pickup nozzle. The SMD nozzles are clipped to a toolholder with simple fuse clips.
The rotation is done by a hollow shaft stepper motor. If you need more details I could post a close-up picture.
If you'd be able to post more detailed pictures, that would be wonderful. If I can ask, what are the model numbers (and your preferred source) for the venturi vaccum generators and valves? Do you find that you need two to handle different sized parts (say an 0603 vs a TFQP-100), or are you hoping to use two for speed?

The magnet ring and fuse clips is very clever, and very low cost -- I like it!

thanks again,
Peter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”