Anyone tried OSH Stencils?

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
flash2k6

Anyone tried OSH Stencils?

Post by flash2k6 »

I've been buying my stencils from one place for a long time, but it looks like this service was started recently and the prices are way better than what I've been paying. Just curious if anyone has used them, and did the stencil work ok for you?

Their example images look good on their website, and I google'd them and there are some people who have posted images that seem happy. I was thinking of giving them a try.

lyndon

Re: Anyone tried OSH Stencils?

Post by lyndon »

Ordered one last week for a board I've been pasting by syringe until now. Waiting for it to get here.

lyndon

Post by lyndon »

Replying to my own post:

My stencil and frame apparently arrived a few days ago but I didn't realize it was already here. The quality looks excellent. It came with a credit-card sized plastic applicator and I also ordered the frame to hold the board in place. I will see how the applicator compares to the rubber/plastic squeegees I have from screen printing.

I'm guessing that the frame was laser or waterjet cut since I can't see any machining marks. It will be a while before I can use the stencil since I don't have bulk paste on hand and I don't need any more of those boards right away, but it should definitely speed up the build process.

flash2k6

Post by flash2k6 »

Well I decided to give them a try and man I'm glad I did. The stencil they sent was better quality than the ones I used to buy at a fraction of the cost. I used to spend $25-35, but this one was $9, and it came with a free solder spreader card and some stickers. Finally, a low cost stencil provider. I'll definitely be using them again, and will be recommending them to others.

nsayer

Post by nsayer »

I've been using them for a while now, and am quite happy with them. They recently added an option for 5mm instead of 3mm film. I like it better because it is more durable. I haven't discerned any difference between the two in the actual results, but I'm not terribly picky.

ericwertz

Post by ericwertz »

I also have been using them -- for about a year now and I've gotten maybe 6-8 stencils from him. I've been happy with the results. I went to 5mil stencils when he started offering them because I needed the extra paste on my board and didn't want to muck with the paste layer Gerbers.

At this point I've probably gotten 150 uses out of my 5mil stencil. The smallest parts are (only) 0805 except one part which is about an 0603. The accuracy/tolerance needed is low enough that I can still probably tolerate a whole lot more prints out of this particular stencil.

I will probably look into an etched stencil at some point (not laser-cut because of the expense) because I imagine that they're a little bit easier/quicker to wipe between every N prints.

I'd give them two opposable thumbs up.

JT53

Post by JT53 »

Well, i'm constantly ordering a lot of stencils: multilevel, laser cut, Mylar Kapton, stainless steel, and so on.

So, i've tried a lot of Stencils manufacturers including OSH.
And i have to say that the best one i've tried is PCB Unlimited: i was struggling to find a manufacturer for a project needing 11 different stencils, three of them multilevel, some framed, some frameless, i really dont remeber the details, it was like two years ago! But what i remember is that PCB Unlimited was the only one able to help me.

I really reccomend them, low prices, great prodcts variety, moneyback guarantee, online quote and discounts. And even though since then i've used other manufacturers, the differences on the service quality makes me go back to PCB Unlimited.

They also give you a 30% off laser cut stencils with your pcbs.

ansonit

Post by ansonit »

I also heared OSH,but i didn't used their service,i always get stencil from pcbway MODERATOR EDIT: LINK REMOVED and their boards is cheap,if you get from OSH,pleaes tell me how is t heir service,thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”