SMT Test Socket pinouts - SOIC-20 and SOIC-16 narrow

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
N0BOX

SMT Test Socket pinouts - SOIC-20 and SOIC-16 narrow

Post by N0BOX »

I just received products 1282 and 1283 in the mail recently, and my plan is to use them with a few loose FRAM ICs I ordered from Digi-Key (I wanted to play with the big 2Mbit I2C and SPI chips that are available, even if they are limited to a max logic level voltage of 3.6V -- I also bought a couple each of the I2C and SPI FRAM breakout boards) and any SOIC package chips I can desolder from any old electronics that are going to go off to be recycled. Unfortunately, there is no information whatsoever in the "Learn" section on how to use these test sockets, nor is there a datasheet to explain how the pins have been routed from the IC in the socket to the headers on the bottom board.

I would just assume that the IC you are trying to test should be oriented such that pin 1 on the IC should be placed against the edge of the socket where pin 1 is marked on the top board, and that the headers on the bottom match the pinout of the IC. The thing that bothers me about assuming this, however, is that the traces on the top board don't seem to go where I would expect them to in order to make that happen. Obviously, I can't see any traces that might be on the bottom of the top board or the top of the bottom board, so I have no idea where they end up leading. It also bothers me that on the SOIC-16 narrow socket the headers are on the opposite side of the bottom board from where pin 1 is marked on the top board.

Could anyone tell me where the pins of the IC end up on the headers for both of these test sockets? If not I will just try to get some continuity readings with my DMM tommorow sometime.

Thanks,
Matt

adafruit_support_rick

Re: SMT Test Socket pinouts - SOIC-20 and SOIC-16 narrow

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Pin 1 goes in the same corner as indicated by the 1 on the silkscreen.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”