Simpson digital multimeter 461-2R

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wolf9545

Simpson digital multimeter 461-2R

Post by wolf9545 »

Let me just start by saying I do have a working and fully functional multimeter but I wanted to experiment with this one.

I just picked up a Simpson digital multimeter model 461-2R; came with the unit, ac adapter, and probes. The unit turns on the display works. If I set it to the ohms setting and touch the probes together the meter reads zero. If I set it to the DC Volts setting and try to read a battery the display becomes all funky (number jump around). They sometimes jump all around even if I just turn on the unit. After leaving the meter plugged into the wall for a few days the old Ni-Cd batteries (size AF, I am think they are mostly dead) does power the unit when un-plugged.

What I am wondering is if anyone has any experience with this meter, has the full users manual / service manual, or knows of any other website I can post this question on?

tirso90

Re: Simpson digital multimeter 461-2R

Post by tirso90 »

change all electrolytics, even if they checked ok. next, change the oscillator crystal next to the large i.c.and last make sure you resolder all connections top and bottom.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”