Newbie soldering question: how to unclog a hole?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
madmolecule

Newbie soldering question: how to unclog a hole?

Post by madmolecule »

I apologize if this has been asked & answered elsewhere; I looked through the forums and didn't see it addressed.

I'm making a MintyBoost. This is the first time I've ever soldered anything in my life, and so far I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it's gone.

However, when I got to the step involving attaching the USB jack, one of the four little holes was already plugged up with solder. I don't know if it arrived that way or if I accidentally did it myself (probably the latter), but I can't figure out how to get it unclogged.

I tried heating the solder and pushing a stiff wire through the hole, but as soon as I pulled the wire out it just closed back up again. I also tried heating the solder and blowing hard on it through a straw, but the solder cools and hardens so fast that it didn't work.

I'm at my wits' end over this. Suggestions, anyone? Thanks in advance.

jasonwebb

Re: Newbie soldering question: how to unclog a hole?

Post by jasonwebb »

The 'traditional' method is to use either a desoldering wick (https://www.adafruit.com/products/149) or a solder sucker (https://www.adafruit.com/products/148). I personally really like the desoldering wick :)

However, both of your methods could work if you keep practicing! If you continue to apply heat as you put a spare wire into the hole, you may be able to quickly jerk or flick the wire out, making the solder fly out (be careful though!). The straw method could work, but you'll have to continually apply heat as you blow. Try to blow in short bursts, but be very careful NOT to breathe in :P

madmolecule

Post by madmolecule »

Terrific; thanks for the info! It looks like the Radio Shack down the street has the wick in stock, too.

jasonwebb

Post by jasonwebb »

Definitely pick one up, it can be very handy. There is a little bit of a technique to it, though, so be sure to watch a couple of demonstrations before you try (I've ruined a couple of boards in the past by burning small traces :(): http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... older+wick

jimnarem

Post by jimnarem »

The truly old-school method is explained in old HP test equipment service
manuals (pre-1980 or so). Use a wooden toothpick. Heat the pad then jam
in the toothpick and leave it until the solder hardens. Remove toothpick.

Agent_24

Post by Agent_24 »

Wick should work well in this situation but if the hole only has a small amount of solder in it, you should add some more first until you get a small dome of solder on the pad - This might sound backwards, but note that wick only sucks up solder it can touch. (also, adding fresh solder always helps anyway)

Then, lay the wick on top of the solder and put the iron down on top of it. Don't press hard or you can damage the PCB. Use the largest and flattest part of your iron tip you can. A chisel tip works best, but if you have a conical, use the wide part, not the point.

The iron is only there to provide heat, so you want the biggest surface area you can get to touch the wick. The wick does all the work, but it needs to be hot enough.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”