EEPROM clamp or IC Hooks

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Stress

EEPROM clamp or IC Hooks

Post by Stress »

I recently purchased a bus pirate and basic probe set. Am planning to use to flash a Macronix MX25L4005A EEPROM that is soldered to an ASUS motherboard. But the probe J hooks are too big to connect to the exposed EEPROM leads. Two of the probe connectors are IC Hooks and they seem possible to connect although they are a little big and the connection is shaky, but seems possible.

So, my question: am I better off trying to find an EEPROM clamp or should I order a set of IC hooks and cut out the old J hooks and connect the IC hooks? I looked briefly for an EEPROM clamp to price and I can't find any for sale in the US. Also, the EEPROM is pretty close to PCI ports and I'm not sure I could even get the clamp in. If anyone has a better idea I'm game, but I really don't want to mess with trying to un-solder and re-solder the EEPROM unless its my last resort.

Thanks.

jpbot

Re: EEPROM clamp or IC Hooks

Post by jpbot »

You didn't mention what the package type was for the EEPROM. I would look at tools, but if it's just a one time thing and you're soldering skills are up to it I would use some wire wrap wire and solder some jumpers in place long enough to attach probes to. That should be easier to do than desolder/resolder and I suspect a chip clamp to be pretty expensive if you have just one chip to do.

Edit: Looks like some motherboards have a SPI programming header for the EEPROM, might check into that too.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”