ET-1700 Multimeter

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: ET-1700 Multimeter

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Not sure what else to try. Strange that it would quit just as you changed the batteries. With your friend's voltmeter, try measuring the battery voltage out of the meter, then measure again when installed in the meter (assuming you can get at it with the meter probe). Test with the meter off and again with the meter on.

alexjtucker

Post by alexjtucker »

Friend of prussia's here cracking this multimeter of his open to see if I can debug it. After touching up the cold solder joints on almost all of the through-hole parts (the red lead of the buzzer sheet was completely disconnected) I powered this with just over 3V on my bench-top supply. Although I hear a beep when I hit the "D-H" button and sometimes the "SEL" button, I noticed I could only make out something on the display when I turn the dial to the battery test function but I can't see if it's working or not. It turns out the zebra stripe LCD contacts are not getting the proper compression fit against the pads on the PCB. I tried to gently clean the contacts with some rubbing alcohol, but I notice the same I saw before: if I squeeze the front and back together and lightly flex the board around the display area, I see the display come alive with the animation that I would expect to see but I can't keep it long enough to get a reading. I'm starting to think this thing shouldn't have passed quality control. It looks like prussia got this 1/23/2013, is this still eligible for replacement?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That is out of warranty, but if you contact [email protected] we can offer a price break on a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”