Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

XYTronic soldering iron
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

XYTronic soldering iron

by jonsleepy on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi,
I bought a Mintyboost kit for my first project. I started with a Radio Shack 25 watt soldering iron. It takes a long time to melt my lead-free solder, and the tip is big so I soldered two components together by mistake.

I want to buy a "better" iron, and I'm inclined to take your recommendation and purchase the XYTronic one from you, but I can't find much information about tips...

Many folks on the web seem impressed with Weller irons, but they're at least 2x the cost of the XYTronic.. but if I went that way, I could buy the "ST7" tip and the reviews make it seem all would be right with my Mintyboost project.

Is the XYTronic's tips suitable for a range of projects, including Mintyboost? Where could I buy changeable tips?

Thanks.
jonsleepy

Re: XYTronic soldering iron

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:32 pm

The Xytronic is a good step up from the standard pencil iron and suitable for most through-hole soldering projects. Newark carries replacement tips.

Lead-free is a little fussier to work with and a higher-powered, temperature-controlled iron will help keep the tip temperature in the working range. I have several Weller irons (WES51 & WESD51) and love them. The Hakko we carry in the store is also highly regarded.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: XYTronic soldering iron

by jonsleepy on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks!
jonsleepy