USB Microscope not recognized

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bob jones

USB Microscope not recognized

Post by bob jones »

I just received the USB Microscope (ID 636 Microview 5mp) I purchased from you. The software will not connect to the microscope. I went to your webpage and downloaded the software and driver located there (http://www.adafruit.com/products/636) but it still reports: “No Device detected, please connect your Magnifier directly to your PC USB port”. I’ve tried connecting to all the USB ports on the system (both USB 2.0 and 3.0). The LEDs on the microscope work and the system device manager does see the microscope and lists it as “Vimicro USB 2.0 PC Camera” so the driver is connecting and at least recognizing an attached device. I’m running Windows 7 on a Lenovo W510 laptop. Can you help me get this working?
--Bob

adafruit

Re: USB Microscope not recognized

Post by adafruit »

Bob Jones wrote:I just received the USB Microscope (ID 636 Microview 5mp) I purchased from you. The software will not connect to the microscope. I went to your webpage and downloaded the software and driver located there (http://www.adafruit.com/products/636) but it still reports: “No Device detected, please connect your Magnifier directly to your PC USB port”. I’ve tried connecting to all the USB ports on the system (both USB 2.0 and 3.0). The LEDs on the microscope work and the system device manager does see the microscope and lists it as “Vimicro USB 2.0 PC Camera” so the driver is connecting and at least recognizing an attached device. I’m running Windows 7 on a Lenovo W510 laptop. Can you help me get this working?
--Bob
hi bob,

thanks for the note, are you able to verify that it works on another system?

thanks,
adafruit support, phil

millerbAF

Post by millerbAF »

Hi!

I'm having the same problem as Bob in this thread. I'm also running Windows 7, and the software linked by the description for item #636
shows a device not connected message when I run it with the usb cable plugged in (and the microscope LED's on).

The about screen for the software loaded from Adafruit:

MicroCapture
veho
20-400x
v1.3

Note: I couldn't install the SW from the mini-cd which came with the box because my Dell D630 running Windows 7 recognized the disk as a writable
DeeVeeDee (forum server forced me to respell this...sorry). Before I could do anything, it started formatting it, so I think that disk is toast. In any case, my laptop won't read it.

Please advise if the SW in the zip file linked to item #636 is for the current shipping hardware.
And if not, I'd appreciate an updated link, or a reply with some link to download. The packaging itself
doesn't reference any website for technical support.

Thanks,

Ben

millerbAF

Post by millerbAF »

Replying to my own last post:

It appears I neglected to install the Camera drivers with "DrvSetup.exe"
along with the viewing software which I assume is done with "Setup.exe".
Now everything seems to work, and the camera works great!

Since there was no readme or other message in the zip package, I assumed Setup.exe would just
do everything. Maybe a short note indicating the 2 step manual process would help others in the future.

Thanks,

Ben

bob jones

Post by bob jones »

I was able to get it working on my home laptop. Like Ben, It didn't work their either at first, I had to run the DrvSetup.exe and that got it working. However, that didn't work for the computer I need it to run on. I've tried the uninstall, reinstall, and repair options and it continues to refuse to connect. Looks like there is a specific driver that the program requires. The camera is still recognized in the control panel devices and reports ok running the Windows 6.1.7601.17701 driver. My other computer that works with the microscope is reporting the driver as Vimicro 300.1000.3001.29. I’ve tried uninstalling the Microsoft driver and running the DrvSetup.exe. Nothing seems to get it to install the Vimicro driver. How do I get the right driver installed?
Also the information about the microscope on https://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/02/2 ... pe-review/ showed that the software had measurement capability and the microscope came with a measurement calibration target. I don’t see any measurement functions in the software. What software was used for your review of this microscope and can I get a copy?
--Bob

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

measurement isnt a capability advertised with this microscope and we don't know what software or technique does the measurement, try asking the reviewer?

bob jones

Post by bob jones »

I still have not been able to get this working. One of our IT team and I have tried everythink we can think of to get the Vimicro driver to install on my work computer. I've uninstalled it and tried every option on the setup and driver setup program. Even pulled a copy of the Vimicro driver from my home computer and using device manager to manually install it.
Who actually makes this microscope? The best way to get a driver is directly from the manufacturer. Running down the Vimicro name suggests this has a Vimicro chip as the heart of the microscope. I could get the driver directly from them if I knew exactly what Vimicro chip was in there. The software is from Veho and this is clearly a rebadged Veho microscope but they don't show a 5mp version. I tried their software update anyways and still didn't get any change.
Any help here?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Bob Jones wrote:I still have not been able to get this working.
hi bob,

can you send the scope' back for us to test? we'll refund/replace of course.

thanks,
adafruit support, phil

bob jones

Post by bob jones »

A replacement scope is not going to help. I was able to get the microscope working on a different computer. It works great and has all the features I was looking for. I just need to get the right driver installed on my work computer. I'd really rather get this working instead of returning for a refund. Based on other threads both from Adafruit and Veho, the driver installer looks to be a bit weak and can have problems.
I contacted the software manufacturer Veho and their initial response is that support needed to come from the reseller. I'm trying again with them as it is clearly their software. Is this a custom Veho microscope made for Adafruit? Does this have a Vimicro processor in it? If I can get the information on what Vimicro chip is used, I would be able to get driver from them.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

MacOSX reports this about the one I have:

Code: Select all

Product ID:	0x3420
  Vendor ID:	0x0ac8  (Z-Star Microelectronics Corporation)
  Version:	 1.00
  Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	Vimicro Corp.
  Location ID:	0xfd141000 / 8
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	128

The reference to Z-Star narrows it down a bit - the chip will be either a ZC0301 or ZC0302. ON the Vimicro site, there are 3 flavors of ZC0301 driver and one flavor of ZC0302.

I started downloading the autodetect tool from Vimicro, but BANNED started frantically running around and screaming at me to stop. So I did.

Is it possible your other computers aren't giving it the 128mA it wants? Have you tried attaching it through a powered hub?

Jigsawged

Post by Jigsawged »

I recently received a Veho VMS-001 USB microscope as a gift. I experienced the same problems (using Windows 10) listed by others here and I too found the Veho site to be unhelpful in sorting out the USB Microscope not recognized. I read reams from other users to no avail but then I found this: http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to- ... d-drivers/ I followed the advice about unsigned drivers and everything worked straight away. I hope others find this helpful.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Good find! Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”