Aluminum USB Microscope Issues with Mac

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gg2

Re: Aluminum USB Microscope Issues with Mac

Post by gg2 »

Dear Adafruit Support

I am having the same software issues (as described ealier in this thread) with my recently purchased Aluminum USB Microscope with Precision Stand (www.adafruit.com/products/1061)

The About This Mac report for the camera is shown at the bottom of this message.

On the plus side: Facetime.app and Photo Booth.app are both able to take a feed from the camera.

None of the versions of the MicroCapture apps that are linked earlier in this thread, or via the original product page appear to work for my camera. The symptoms are as described in the dialogue earlier in this thread. I am running Mac 10.8.2

Please advise if you are aware of a version of the software that will run with the camera? Note that Photo Booth.app is fairly serviceable since it will capture both photos and movies albeit with that annoying 3,2,1 to allow you to pose!

Rick

---------------------------------
USB 2.0 Camera:

Product ID: 0x6300
Vendor ID: 0x0c45 (Sonix Technology Co., Ltd.)
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Sonix Technology Co., Ltd.
Location ID: 0x26200000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 168

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Update -
We have confirmed that the MicroCapture application does not work with the Aluminum microscope on Macs. The alternative is to use QuickTime player, which is already installed on all Macs.

We've updated the product page. Sorry for the confusion.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I have recently purchased a Aluminum USB Microscope with Precision Stand -
ID: 1061 as well and am having trouble getting it to register on my mac. Is there anywhere the drivers can be found online for the mac?

adafruit_support_rick

There are no Mac drivers. It should just show up as a video camera, viewable in QuickTime Player.

You might try a different USB port.

Does the microscope show up under USB devices in System Report?

jmmiller

Post by jmmiller »

I had similar results with my Snow Leopard MacBook Pro. Photo booth recognizes the microscope and works fine for
me. Quicktime Player does not seem to allow any non-firewire camera besides the iSight. This does not
seem to be a problem with the older Quicktime Pro, judging from from other posts. Do you folks have some
work-around? Additionally, an English instruction manual would be nice.

adafruit_support_rick

I must admit to being entirely baffled by USB cameras on Macs. I'm running Lion, and neither my microscope nor my built-in iSight appears in iMovie or QuickTime Player.

However, both appear in Skype.

Unfortunately, I don't have one of the Aluminum microscopes here. I'll have to order one of them.

I have one of the black microscopes - the MicroCapture 2.5 app works just fine for that, but I understand that it doesn't work with the Aluminum microscope.

Once I gert my hands on an aluminum scope, I'll try to figure something out. Meanwhile, you might try googling for USB camera apps. I spotted one called 'macam' which looks interesting, but I don't know if it will work for you or not…

robert schenker

Post by robert schenker »

I purchased one of the black scopes late last year to use with a Mac. The scope works great other than the button on the body which never seemed to do anything. However, the Mac software was pretty lame and didn't offer any measurement features. I just decided to re-investigate and read these posts. Did a search starting with CNET and found an inexpensive app called miXscope. It does everything I need, seems to work perfectly (I have only briefly checked it out) and a single user license is only $18 US.

Bob

adafruit_support_rick

Good find! :D
It looks like it's much better than the Windows version of the app that comes with the microscope.
http://edhsw.com/mixscope/

pbwizard

Post by pbwizard »

Runs terrific on last year's Macbook Pro Retina running BANNED (10.9.4), using Quicktime player 10.3. Select New Movie Recording. When window pops up, click the downward pointing triangle right above 0 KB & select USB 2.0 Camera. It also works with Quicktime 7. You must select the USB 2.0 camera in preferences before opening a new movie window.

Wish it came with instructions for the accessories...

dnorton

Post by dnorton »

Does anyone know if opencv (or python cv2) will work with this camera?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm afraid we don't have any information on that.

It should show up as a regular video source, so I'd guess it would work, but haven't confirmed that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”