Hakko FX-888D, and lead-free soldering?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
amckimmey

Hakko FX-888D, and lead-free soldering?

Post by amckimmey »

I was wondering if the Hakko FX-888D that Adafruit carries comes with a tip that is ok to use with lead-free solder? and if not does Hakko offer a tip that is?

Also, where might I find some good information on lead-free soldering? I haven't done any soldering in many years since high school and would really prefer to use lead-free solder, but most of the information I find is not that helpful and seems to be out of data arguments about why not to use it. It is widely used now, so I would hope there is good information about it somewhere.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Hakko FX-888D, and lead-free soldering?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Hakko FX-888D will handle lead-free solder just fine.

Lead free typically requires a slightly higher tip temperature (I use 750F). And a little more patience. Lead-free does not flow as readily as tin/lead solder & it takes a little longer for the solder to wet the joint fully. A lead-free joint will not be as shiny as a tin/lead joint, so don't panic if everything starts looking like a cold joint.

Some additional useful tips here:
http://hackaday.com/2008/05/22/how-to-g ... ee-solder/

amckimmey

Post by amckimmey »

Thanks for the information.

If anyone else that reads this has any of they information or tips on lead-free soldering please let me know. You can never learn to much.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

the tip that came with my 888d was meant for lead free solder, and I think most of the original Hakko tips are so.
I don't care about that, so I use the for leaded solder, I don't see any point in using leadfree solder for hobby use.

and the 888d is an darn nice solderstation, very fast, very good to use, I don't regret buying this, even if it costed me some doh (Norway hikes to price on these up to $280)
Tips are easily available in all shapes on ebay, but most seems to be not original, even if they are wrapped in Hakko labeled plastic bags.

Ever since Adafruit had the fx-888 on the shop, you have this qoute: "You can purchase replacement Hakko tips anywhere (we'll carry some soon)"
Will that happen?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yes, we've been putting lots of items in but we'll also get some tips in especially now that we stock both fx-888s!

amckimmey

Post by amckimmey »

Do you have any tip size recommendation? and what applications might they be best for?

I see both the Hakko stations on Adafruit come with the "900M-T-1.6D 1.6mm 'screwdriver' tip".

What applications is this tip really good for? I would imagine general purpose/through whole, not super fine work?

Any idea on when you might start carrying them? or what ones you might carry? and if you will carry the replacement sponge for the station? That might be nice as well.

Thanks

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

I'm using the D16 often, good small tip, 1.6mm is actuall not big :), but you can get the D12 or D08 also.
For throughole i often use D24, sometimes D32 (quick soldering of pinheaders)

The various C/CF tips is supposed to be fine for dragsoldering

This hakko can use both T18 and 900M tips, they are exactly the same tips, I would by this kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-Solder-Scr ... 0788095725

the are clones, works just fine, maybe hakko originals are better, but first someone needs to start carry them.

electronbee

Post by electronbee »

I'd get two of each tip size. One for lead and the other for lead-free. You may not think you need one of each size but it's really nice to have it when you need it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”