Got in Trouble with Hakko FX-888D

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
neslekkim

Re: Got in Trouble with Hakko FX-888D

Post by neslekkim »

Same reason as they make one FX-888D for 110 volt, and one for 220volt.. (and for all the other stations too)

analoger

Post by analoger »

With 110/200 power it's a bit different, and it's very common to have two versions of the same equipment. This is not a personal preference like temperature units.
I think the reason is either to sell the two versions of the expensive thermometers, or a bad design decision again. :shock:

modeller

Post by modeller »

analoger wrote: I think the reason is either to sell the two versions of the expensive thermometers, or a bad design decision again. :shock:
I was looking at the Hakko tip thermometers. I saw that Hakko's FG100 was on Ebay all over the place for prices like $14 - $18 new shipping from China and Hong Kong. I thought to myself "wow self - that's cheap might as well buy one". I then looked at the prices from non-Ebay internet vendors and the price for the FG100 is on the order of $170 - $200.

Hakko lists it as costing $230!

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?PID=2388&Page=1

Do you think the Ebay models are "real" Hakko tip thermometers (they sure look like it but I know things can be faked)? Or, is this just the effect of global markets?

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

fake, as fake as the hakko fx888, fx951.. fx951-fakes sells for $50 on aliexpress ;)

I bought the previous hakko termometer, also around $15, seems like it works good enough, uses the same sensors.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

I meant, fake as the fakes sold on Dealextreme, aliexpress, and most of the ones sold from china on ebay. (not possible to edit posts on this forum..?)

modeller

Post by modeller »

neslekkim wrote: (not possible to edit posts on this forum..?)
Yea you can edit your post. Don't you see the edit tab?

analoger

Post by analoger »

The price does not really matter for what it does, but having the option to show C or F in the same device would be nicer. Imagine a soldering station that's either C or F.

modeller

Post by modeller »

analoger wrote:The price does not really matter for what it does, but having the option to show C or F in the same device would be nicer. Imagine a soldering station that's either C or F.
Yea that seems pretty lame if there isn't a switch on the thing for that.

I was reading up on the Hakko station before I bought one, and this one guy said he hadn't had to change the Hakko tip in 12 years. Wow. My POS Radio Shack 15W iron ate it's tips for breakfast. They sold very poor quality tips for that thing at RS.

analoger

Post by analoger »

The quality of their products is very high and reliable, and their prices compared to other top brands are reasonable.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

If you power up your unit while holding both buttons, you get an "A" in the display, selecting up button you get "U", or maybe it's supposed to be an "V", what will these settings do?
(Didn't dare to press enter yet.. ;) )

modeller

Post by modeller »

neslekkim wrote:If you power up your unit while holding both buttons, you get an "A" in the display, selecting up button you get "U", or maybe it's supposed to be an "V", what will these settings do?
(Didn't dare to press enter yet.. ;) )
Go ahead - press it. You've gone this far don't quit now.

analoger

Post by analoger »

Please do it and let us know :mrgreen:

modeller

Post by modeller »

analoger wrote:Please do it and let us know :mrgreen:
I was searching for the service manual and came across a Japanese version. I translated it using Google translate, and it seemed to indicate that if you get the "A" in the dispay, and then press enter, it would self-destruct.

neslekkim are you there?

Oh dear ...

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

I was more thinking of, what if it entered booloader mode, and I could not get it out of it.. or somehting ;)

modeller

Post by modeller »

neslekkim wrote:I was more thinking of, what if it entered booloader mode, ...
LOL - bootloader mode on a soldering iron. I'm so glad I got the discontinued model - the one with the knob. :lol:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”