Hakko FX-901 Cordless

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blkant

Hakko FX-901 Cordless

Post by blkant »

Has anyone used the Hakko FX-901 cordless soldering iron? I've noticed that the Hakko station is seen as being an exceptional soldering iron but its cost puts me off quite a bit. Given the good reception of Hakko and the low cost of the cordless I couldn't help but think it might be a good starting tool at a low cost. I saw the cheaper beginning soldering irons on here as well but I'm not sure if the Hakko cordless would be better.

I had tried soldering for the first time five years ago with an extremely cheap radioshack soldering iron that seemed to almost never work. I could wait 30min for it to heat up it seemed and even then I had to apply pressure with the solder to get it to melt, at which point it typically seemed to never stick to anything and actually push away from solder points as if they were magnetically retracting each other. This time I'm hoping to get one that wont put me off again as I recently got a Raspberry Pi and Arduino, and after learning the basics I'm really hoping to expand further without interruptions from bad tools.

Thank you in advance! :)
Last edited by blkant on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Hakko FX-901 Cordless

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I haven't used that model, but I own and have owned several cordless irons. They are quite handy in a pinch and I keep one in my traveling kit. But it is not the kind of iron to rely on as your primary soldering tool. If the cost of the Fx-888 station is too much, I would suggest a good corded iron such as the Xytronics over a cordless iron.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/180

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”