USB Microscope, trouble using

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
frank26080115

USB Microscope, trouble using

Post by frank26080115 »

I just got the USB microscope, installed all drivers and software, and rebooted.

MicroCapture seems to freeze when I try to use it, it shows a gray screen and the UI is unresponsive. If the microscope is unplugged, it will tell me that it is unplugged. If I try using a USB hub, it will say that it is unplugged.

Yawcam will show me a black screen, and I am not able to bring up the settings for the microscope. Unplugging the microscope will cause it to crash. Using a USB hub does not help.

Dorgem simply will not start if I select the microscope. Unplugging it caused my computer to BSOD.

I've tried many typical problem solving steps such as unplugging-replugging, rebooting, and uninstalling-reinstalling the drivers. Nothing has helped so far

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 15R SE, all 4 USB ports are 3.0. The USB hub I mentioned is a USB 2.0 hub.

Please advise me on my next troubleshooting steps.

EDIT: it works on my other laptop (Dell Studio XPS 13, same OS, USB 2.0 ports only)

adafruit_support_rick

Re: USB Microscope, trouble using

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Not sure what to tell you. Is that a powered hub you tried, or is it passive?
We've seen flaky behavior in general with USB3.0.
You aren't using a USB extension cable by any chance, are you?

It's possible that the microscope cable is a little marginal. You can email [email protected] with a link to this thread and ask for a replacement. No guarantee that it will make a difference

frank26080115

Post by frank26080115 »

Well it worked once on my other laptop, so I think it's a problem with either my computer or drivers. I'm going to try a few more things and get back to this.

frank26080115

Post by frank26080115 »

Err... It stopped working on both of my laptops... Weird

I can still run my software USB analyzer on it, it does do isosynchronous transfers when the MicroCapture app is running, but nothing is showing up on screen.

Version of MicroCapture is v2.0, for 2MP, 20x-200x

I have the strangest feeling that it shipped with the wrong disk

adafruit_support_rick

frank26080115

Post by frank26080115 »

Same behaviour, grey screen

now version reports v1.3, isn't it supposed to be v2.5?

I also tried stuff like reinstalling the USB host drivers for my laptop, didn't help.

adafruit_support_rick

The cable on the microscope may be bad. Let's try replacing it.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread and ask for a replacement

tim123456

Post by tim123456 »

Hi,

I am having the same issue with the USB microscope as well, getting a grey screen for the preview. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver as well as the software. I have tried both the driver and software on the included disk as well as the one off the site. I continue to get a grey screen in the software. I unplug the scope and it gives me the message about no device detected..., and goes away when i plug it back in. If press the capture button in the software it takes a picture of the grey and nothing else. If I use the one on the side of the camera it starts a program called AMCAP and I get a message "Cannot create audio capture filter". I am running windows 7 on a 64-bit machine.

adafruit_support_rick

Did you go through the setup procedure on the disk (or in the zip file)?
See this post (and the one following it) for the installation details:

tim123456

Post by tim123456 »

Yes, I have gone through that process. I had uninstalled the original windows driver that went in when I plugged in the scope and installed the supplied on and in my device manager it has Digital Microscope under the imaging devices. I have it plugged directly into the 2.0 USB port as well. I continue to get nothing in the capture software but the grey screen.

adafruit_support_rick

OK, let's replace it. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread and ask for a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”