What does "banned" mean wrt ESD?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
frizz

What does "banned" mean wrt ESD?

Post by frizz »

I'm a massive noob, so forgive my ignorance.

Also, I need a work bench. I have a great one, but it is in use for another money-eating hobby. It was a kit, and a PITA to assemble.

Any comments on this one?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-Stee ... h/14958237

Any other suggestions? I live in the USA, the Southeast specifically.

Franklin97355

Re: What does "banned" mean wrt ESD?

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you explain where you saw this and in what context. Some items may be "banned" from an ESD safe environment because they can't be made ESD safe.

frizz

Post by frizz »

Hmmmm. Now I can't find an example. Seems like I saw a couple here. Now I REALLY feel like an idjit.

frizz

Post by frizz »

OK, maaaaybe it is the "badword" filter. I think old posts that contain a spammy/badword word which was added to the filter list after the post was made is displayed with the word in question replaced with "banned".

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you point one out? I've not noticed it.

frizz

Post by frizz »

Here are two

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 81&p=94876
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 74&p=73486

It seems that the word which means very inexpensive and starts with "ch" and ends with "eap" is blocked so that spammers are thwarted.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yep..

Thanks to our amazing community, Adafruit has become a large Google target. That means spammers, link-baiters, and similar vermin want to pump our pages full of their own bogus links. As with all such things, it's an arms race where we keep finding new ways to shut them out and they keep finding new ways to get past our countermeasures.

One of our tools is a vocabulary filter that makes a digest of the text that gets posted with link spam. Words with a high discrimination value (strong correlation with spam, weak correlation with regular conversation) go into the "find another way to say that" filter.

It's not that 'c---p' doesn't come up in regular conversation, but it's almost a physical constant in spam. If you happen to think of a way to keep wretched scum and villains from combining that word with the name of the country north of the US and a chemical whose trade name starts with 'v', you'll probably be in the running for a Nobel prize. ;-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”