Cool electronics tools

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_mike

Re: Cool electronics tools

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Let me also balance my position by saying I won't deliberately choose an ugly tool over an attractive one if they both do the job equally well. I come from a family of woodworkers, so the Bridge City Tool Works catalog is a regular treat: http://www.bridgecitytools.com.

The aesthetics of tools is a delicate matter though. The H.O. Studley toolchest is a work of art:
toolchest.jpg
toolchest.jpg (129.98 KiB) Viewed 446 times
as is an early 20th century Browne and Sharpe dial indicator:
indicator.jpg
indicator.jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 446 times
They're functional works of art though. 80% of the design involves pieces that do well-defined jobs efficiently. 15% involves meeting the functional and efficiency requirements in an elegant way. The remaining 5% is ornamentation that enhances the beauty without getting in the way.

When you talk about radically redesigning a tool, you risk messing up the 95% that represents an enormous amount of design evolution and experience in the field. If you want a new design to be taken seriously, you need to show that you take the old design seriously enough to understand why it is the way it is. "Out with the old and in with the new" just means "let's go rediscover a few decades worth of design mistakes for ourselves".

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”