Favorite non-tool in your toolbox?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dykebert

Favorite non-tool in your toolbox?

Post by dykebert »

Hey folks,
There are a number of threads about soldering irons, and now there's even a book about the maker workbench. But how about the things we use that aren't tools in the traditional sense (i.e. soldering irons, snips, screwdrivers, helping hands, etc.)

My 2 (two) favorites are:
Those little car dash sticky pads;
Subscription to Safari books online.

I love those little car dash sticky pads. I slap one down on the workbench and it does a great job of holding small screws, jumper blocks, header pins etc.

I wasn't sure about the subscription to safari books online when I started it, but I've found in invaluable when I've suddenly decided to become interested in something. Now I can just grab a half dozen or so books and check out what different authors have to say. I can just check the chapter(s) I'm interested in and then move on. If I find something that has several chapters that are useful or that I want for a reference I go ahead and buy it, but I don't buy a lot of books for the one or two chapters I'm interested in.

My favorite non-standard materials are:
foam board;
wooden yard sticks.

Foam board is inexpensive (dollar store) and easy to work with IMHO.

Wooden yard sticks are inexpensive ($0.50 - 0.75), can be cut, drilled, and glued easily. They are strong, and easier to find than balsa wood IMHO.

What are your favorites?

neslekkim

Re: Favorite non-tool in your toolbox?

Post by neslekkim »

white tack :), use it often to hold pcb's on my desk, I also use panavise, but its often faster with small pcb's to just tack it down.
I'm not using sticky pads, but those rubber matts that are used to keep rugs from sliding on the floor, perfect for removing vibrations, or making things not move around on the desk.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Bamboo skewers and/or coffee stirrers. They both come in bundles at about a penny each, and there are countless times when an insulated stick or small tube comes in handy.

dykebert

Post by dykebert »

my latest favorite is old CD/DVDs you can use a ruler and a carpet knife to score them and the break off the cut. With just a little clean up you've got a light rigid piece for your needs.

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Bamboo skewers and/or coffee stirrers. They both come in bundles at about a penny each, and there are countless times when an insulated stick or small tube comes in handy.
I use a lot of toothpicks for different things. Mixing/applying epoxy during assembly is one of them. I finally broke down and got a tooth pick dispenser. Totally worth it!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I use a lot of toothpicks for different things. Mixing/applying epoxy during assembly is one of them.
And the little anti-static bags that Adafruit ships parts in make great throwaway epoxy mixing surfaces too.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”