Help with the EX330 Multimeter

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tikishark

Help with the EX330 Multimeter

Post by tikishark »

I just received a new EX330 and had a few questions. When I'm measuring Alkaline "AA" batteries am I supposed to be getting a high reading (1.76-1.80 volts)? Is this within an acceptable range of 1.5V battery? When I hook up an LED and switch over to the diode test... I notice that I get a faint light on the LED, but nothing happens on the meter. A non-light emitting diode will display a voltage, but not when testing a LED... Is this supposed to happen? I also get some really crazy readings when measuring capacitors. A 220 microfarad ranges on the meter from .016 all the way up to 5.84; a ceramic 104 capacitor reads at 61.6 instead of 100.

To make sure that this isn't a battery issue, I put new batteries in the unit. I also tested every component on a breadboard in isolation to avoid getting a reading from an additional component.

Do you think I have a defective unit?

Thanks... John

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Help with the EX330 Multimeter

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

When I'm measuring Alkaline "AA" batteries am I supposed to be getting a high reading (1.76-1.80 volts)? Is this within an acceptable range of 1.5V battery?
That is not unusual for fresh high-quality alkaline cells. They quickly drop to about 1.5v, then decline steadily over their useful life. If you get readings like that from a set of used cells, I would be concerned.
I notice that I get a faint light on the LED, but nothing happens on the meter. A non-light emitting diode will display a voltage, but not when testing a LED... Is this supposed to happen?
The diode test is for standard diodes. It doesn't work with most LEDs.
I also get some really crazy readings when measuring capacitors. A 220 microfarad ranges on the meter from .016 all the way up to 5.84; a ceramic 104 capacitor reads at 61.6 instead of 100.
The meter is rated for capacitors up to 200uF. And it will take several minutes for a capacitor that large to charge. You have to wait until the readings settle before ending the test. Small capacitors without a tolerance code can be +80%/-20% and readings can be influenced by a lot of things. Just the way you hold the leads in your hand can give you a 100nF swing.

tikishark

Post by tikishark »

Thank you for the information. With the exception of the battery reading (which always reads how no matter what type or age of battery I use), and capacitors the other measures are settling down. With the capacitor, I followed the instructions from the manual and allowed up to three minutes for everything to stabilize, but I still get really weird readings. I'm going to try a friend's meter tomorrow and see how far everything is off.

I appreciate the support.

John

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Let us know how the readings compare with your friend's meter. Batteries are not a great reference voltage since they change over time. Try something like the 5v pin on an Arduino, or the two outer pins on a USB port.

tikishark

Post by tikishark »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Let us know how the readings compare with your friend's meter. Batteries are not a great reference voltage since they change over time. Try something like the 5v pin on an Arduino, or the two outer pins on a USB port.
Okay - Everything checks out... the two tests you suggested came up with correct values and my friend's meter matched...

Thanks again for all the help....

John

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”