IDC cable conundrums!

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
det3

IDC cable conundrums!

Post by det3 »

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been talking with some friends about in-house IDC cable assembly, and it seems that there's a pretty steep inverse bell curve regarding how to assemble these beasties. On one end, you have the board shears plus Pro'sKit style hand-crimpers and a lot of time to assemble IDCs. On the other, you have fully automated pneumatic presses with integrated cutters that the high-volume cable houses use. It seems that after the PanaVise-style bench presses there's this huge desert in terms of cost and complexity until you get into the AMP and Molex-style industrial systems.

I'm wanting to move beyond the hand-crimp-and-whine setup, but I don't see much more value in the PanaVise in terms of speed and accuracy of assembly. So, what would one do in this situation? Suck it up and grab the Vise, BANNED, or...?

Franklin97355

Re: IDC cable conundrums!

Post by Franklin97355 »

It depends on how many you need to make and what your time to make them will be. You could make your own tools if the number is big enough to warrant it. What kind of price range are you looking at?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”