focusing USB microscope at varying levels of magnification

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jchoate

focusing USB microscope at varying levels of magnification

Post by jchoate »

I set up a USB Microscope (item 636) and have been unsuccessful focusing the image at varying levels of magnification. My understanding is that the scope's magnification capability ranges from 10x to 200x, but for any given situation, I have only been able to focus at one particular level of magnification (around 30x or thereabouts). The software has an "Options" menu, under which "Preferences" is a menu item that brings up a dialogue box with six tabs. One of the tabs, "Camera Control," has controls for both Zoom and Focus, but they are grayed out and not available for modification. Both of those controls have check boxes for "Auto," but neither are selected. How do I focus at varying levels of magnification? I have experienced the same results with both Windows 7 and Windows XP.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: focusing USB microscope at varying levels of magnificati

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The microscope is strictly manual zoom and focus; that's why the tabs are dimmed.
There will be a focus point for every magnification setting - you will have to move the microscope closer or farther away to find the focus point.

jchoate

Post by jchoate »

Rick,

Thanks for your reply! Do you know if there's anything similar on the market that allows for independently controlled zoom and focus, similar to a zoom stereoscope? Based on the product's description, that's what I thought I was getting. It's still a good product for the price, but I'd like to find something with the ability to zoom somewhere in the range of 5-50x or thereabouts and then focus at any given level of magnification within that range.

Thanks again!

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Something like that would probably be a good deal more expensive. I did a bit of googling. You might find something on this page:
http://www.digital-usb-microscopes.com/ ... OgodymsA7A

If you would like to return your microscope, please email [email protected] with a link to this thread.

Kinslayer

Post by Kinslayer »

@jchoate, I found your post while googling the same problem. There is one small piece of good news though... the microscope seems to be a quite common, sold under various brand names. I read this review on Amazon, and found that indeed, there is a "2nd" focus level near the very end of the top focus (past the mark)... you need a completely flat surface though for this to work.

Kinslayer

Post by Kinslayer »

@jchoate, I found your post while googling the same problem. There is one small piece of good news though... the microscope seems to be a quite common, sold under various brand names. I read this review on Amazon, and found that indeed, there is a "2nd" focus level near the very end of the top focus (past the mark)... you need a completely flat surface though for this to work, and be really close to the microscope (touching the edge or I guess inside the cap).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”