Major Problem with DSO Nano Oscilloscope on Mac and Linux

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
craic

Major Problem with DSO Nano Oscilloscope on Mac and Linux

Post by craic »

I just bought a DSO Nano Oscilloscope v3 https://www.adafruit.com/product/468 - The startup screen says v 4.21 - I have not updated the firmware

In principle it looks like a very useful tool... BUT...

You plug into a computer with a USB cable to power it and copy over screendumps.

The problem is that it does not appear as a disk on Mac OS X (BANNED 10.9.2). If you bring up the System Information application and look under USB you can see a "STM32 Mass Storage Device". When I open DIsk Utility with the Nano plugged in it just hangs - worse than that, when I Force Quit it, remove the Nano and try Disk Uitlity again it hangs on start up... only a full machine reboot fixed that.

OK, let's try Linux - on a Raspberry Pi when I run 'sudo fdisk -l' I see the device as a /dev/sda2 - a SCSI device - but fdisk also tells me that there is no partition table and so trying to mount /dev/sda2 fails

I borrowed an Windows Vista laptop and it DOES appear as a USB device on that ... but that doesn't really help me

So I am stuck... anyone solved this situation? It is useless to me in its present state and it will be going back

Adafruit needs to make the issue clear on the product page so that people like me don't waste a lot effort and time (and $99.95...)

It looks like a nice little device but as it stands it is a case study in frustration...

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Major Problem with DSO Nano Oscilloscope on Mac and Linu

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Do try upgrading the firmware: http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewto ... 234#p18234

As I understand it, there are some significant improvements in there.

craic

Post by craic »

I borrowed a Windows machines and did the firmware upgrade as you recommended.

I don't know what Improvements it makes but it does nothing for the USB connectivity. That still only works on Windows - so it is useless to me.

Please update the product page to make this clear to other buyers so they don;t have to waste time like me.

And how do I return this for a refund?

thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a refund

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”